New Boats, Dealers, and Warranties

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gregg

My question is, how much can you or should you exprct from your dealer and your warranty on a new boat? For example, I took delivery 2 months ago of a Catalina 350. Most things are great but when I asked them about condensation in the fuel gauge and Tachometer the answer was that this always happens and don't worry about it. I have seen many gauges over the years both with and without condensation but to me this is not right in a brand new boat. What do you think and how much of a pest should I be on "small" items such as this?

J

Jack

Same story.

Mine has done it from the start. The dealer,Sail Place, said that it is normal. Other warranty issues have been taken care of although not promptly (as long as two years).

P

Pete Bruzik

Moisture solved!

Hello! I drilled a 1/4" hole on pedestal instrument face and placed a "clam shell" vent over it (sealed with sealer of course) no more moisture - the moisture is coming up from the bilge and I had a poorly sealed instrument panel - I unscrewed and resealed.

B

Bill

The Same

Got the same condensation but I am just overlooking it at this point, got other issues I am trying to get resolved.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Instrument Condensation

Gregg Gauge condensation normally happens. There are newer more expensive gauges that claim they don't have any. Pete's reply about venting is very good. Another answer we all use is to run the instrument lights. The heat of the lamp may clear it out. Depending on how your boat is wired, you may have to turn on the running lights. The issue is not what you should expect from your dealer: you should expect everything. The issue is what is really something that is a warranty issue and what is something that kinda comes with the territory. Checking with us here sure doesn't hurt! You also have a new C350 Association website, and their sailnet discussion group, too. What do they say? Good luck, Stu

B

Blair Dehuff

Guage Condensation

I noticed some condensation in the gauges on the C350 at the San Diego boat show last January and asked the dealer about. He said this was "normal". However, that didn't sound right to me. I've had my C350 for about 7 months and have never seen any condensation in the fuel gauge, or any of the other gauges. Although my boat is in a dry climate (Lake Tahoe)I'm not sure this would necessarily account for the lack of condensation. I've never noticed any condensation even after a good rain. It seems to me that any guage which is adequately sealed should not have condensation. As regards your larger question of what you should be able to expect of the dealer and Catalina vis-a-vis warranty issues, you may find as I have that smaller issues which do not entail a lot of cost to fix are frequently easier to deal with yourself even if you are really entitled to have it replaced for fixed by the dealer. I tend rely on the warranty only for big issues, not the smaller ones. Sometimes the time it takes and hassle involved in relying on the dealer are just not worth it. For example, the factory installed inverter for my TV set failed only 1 month after the boat was delivered. I could have waited, probably weeks, for the dealer to get around to replacing it. However, it was just easier and quicker to buy and new one (only $50) and install it myself the next day. Plus, I got a much better inverter than the noisy little 300 Pro-Watt inverter which Catalina would have have stuck back in there as a replacement. B. Dehuff C350 #116

C

Chip

Dealer Warranties

Gregg. I just closed on my new 350 yesterday, 12/13/03 (Hull #202). I certainly have had no experience with condensation but I would be curious about your experience with your dealer. I live in the town next to yours and probably used the same dealer as you. I have heard mostly positive responses about this dealer except for one. I would appreciate your input on your experiences so I know what to look for. Thanks, Chip

B

Bill

Hull #s

Greg & Chip Iam sure I am at the same marina, hull 108. What are you hull #s and when did/do you take delivery?

C

Chip

350 delivery

Hi Bill Hull 202. I just took delivery two days ago. I did, however, have a Hunter 310 which I kept at Tall Oaks in Forked River. How about you?

B

Bill

Last May

We took delievery last May, it made for a very long winter. Kept it at Winters this past season to give them a chance to do all the punch out and did two trips to the Chesapeake. Moving the boat to the Sasafrass this spring. Know Tall Oaks, have friends with a 31 catilina there, or is it Silver Cloud, both the same. You staying at Forked River?

C

Chip

Get together

Bill Contact me via e-mail so we can talk. Chip Bronxbuddha@comcast.net

G

Gregg

Me too

Bill and Chip, So far I have found Winter's to be responsive and very nice but I am early in the process so we will see more next spring. I took delivery of Hull#158 in late October. We kept the boat in until the last minute so we even endured the first snowstorm while at the service dock. I can't wait til spring when we can really get to use the boat. We did have a great november but a lot of warm days were wind-less. Had a great Thanksgiving day sail though. We definitely should keep in touch and compare notes. my email is drgbannett@comcast.net

Status
Not open for further replies.