new boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rebecca

I have just purchased a 1973 Widgeon. I finally got my own sailboat, albeit an itty bitty one, since I have not sailed since I was a kid in Ft. Lauderdale! My husband and I took it out yesterday to review what we did not remember, and have questions about the rigging. The previous owner mentioned that he had added some things but did not say what exactly. I need some diagrams or info on how the rigging is supposed to be laid out. The jib sheets go through fairleads on the inside near the mast and then to cam-cleats (need a sailor's dictionary!) that are on the centerboard. It is very awkward to manuever and we are not sure if it supposed to be there. The centerboard has some very funky block and tackle fixtures and the mainsheet doesn't work smoothly. It could very likely be us, since we have been so long out of it! We had a great time nonetheless and are thrilled to have the boat. If anyone can give me info on exactly how this boat is originally rigged, I would appreciate it very much.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

I'll try to sneak a look ....

Rebecca, There is a widgeon on a mooring near my boat. I'll try to get a good look at it. In the meantime, check out: http://home.att.net/~oday/odaywib.htm for a picture of how O'day thought it ought to be rigged. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

R

Rebecca

thank you to Justin

Hey, thanks! The website is neat. I got a phone # for Rudy to call for a manuel from another response you made. I would like to get it to the original condition (rigging, etc.), I guess that is optimal, huh?

G

Guzzler

Manual info

We did receive our owner's manual. There isn't much to it but it includes a schematic with picture & instructions on the back. They're not as detailed as we had hoped for but they do cover the basics for rigging. It cost $6.50 including postage from Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine. His phone number is (508)644-3001.

A

Anson

widgeon jib

I too just bought an oday widgeon, and had the same concerns. It is my first sailboat, and had never sailed anything with a jib, but the person I bought the boat from had not changed any of the rigging, and mine sounds like it is set up the same way. It sure does make it hard to manuver, but I love the extra sail power even if I don't know the optimum way to use the jib. I love the ease of my widgeon, and the stability makes it easy to take chances, and have fun. Good luck with your widgeon...and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.