New Boat, New SSB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Last year we sold our Hunter 40.5 and said goodby to the SSB that I had installed. Good news is we bought another boat, a Jeanneau 49 Deck Salon. Great boat, but it didn't have all the goodies that one would like, including an SSB radio. So after several months of planning and saving, the new radio is here and I'm in the middle of installation.

There is a couple of changes between the last install and this install. For one, I am scrapping the copper foil to a thru hull and will be going to try out the KISS-SSB counterpoise system. And I'll also have a better idea on running coax and cables. Always good to learn from a previous job and improve on the next one.

So, I've got about a third of the work done and should finish up in the next two or three weeks, depending on work schedule. Keep an ear out for me.

Mar 12, 2008
Well, the radio is in and all the lines are zipped in place. I still have some cabinet work to get done and a modem to install, but the radio is up and running. I made a fast contact to make sure everything was working.

I have to admit I was a skeptic when it came to the KISS-SSB ground. Nothing that easy to install can work that well. I installed the KISS ground behind a panel in the aft lazerette, and gave the radio a test, half expecting every light on the electrical panel to start flashing and every alarm to sound with all the RFI. But the tuner loads up on all bands in about three seconds or less, and the voice contact was clear. I can't wait to give the entire system good workout!

Mar 12, 2008
And now a new radio license for the boat. The new call sign is WDF7062. The FCC has made it really easy to request a license. Filled in and submitted the form on-line yesterday, and in checking this morning, I'm already approved and in the system.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
:pix:

Oh and congrats on the new boat. What radio did you get and what antenna system are you using?

One of these days I will be able to post the same news, a new boat. But not today. LOL

Mar 12, 2008
Hi Brian. Have you made it back to CA yet?

I'm a big fan of the Icom M802. So I went ahead and got a new one and installed it. First contact was a gentleman in Japan on 40 meters. Considering I was on the dock, not bad. I rolled out my old GAM antenna, and I'll use that until I can get the backstay converted over.

Feb 17, 2006
Still in Afghanistan. Nice winds but no water. LOL Will be home in July for a two week break. Hope to do some sailing then, but I also have to work on my outboard. It is giving me fits. Wish I could find someone to work on it while I am out here.

Backstay antenna. They always make me nervous to see those. My fears are unfounded but I am afraid the stay will break and down comes the mast. I guess I would prefer an antenna that rode up the stay instead of being the stay.

Good to hear that your rig is working. Like I said, one day I will be able to say, "Yeah, new boat, new gear". LOL

Mar 12, 2008
Hey Brian,

Looks like lots of beach there but a loooooong way to the water.

Right now I'm using a GAM antenna, which slides up the stay. Problem wiith the GAM is you can't replace the GTO-15 feed line without sending the whole thing back to the manufacturer. I've found that the GTO-15 wicks moistue like crazy. I have twin backstays, so having on converted adds a slight risk, but not much. Just something else to inspect!

Be safe!

Feb 17, 2006
Karl, reverse engineer the antenna and make your own. Works for me LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.