New bilge pump

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
The Rule Mate bilge pump which was on the boat was becoming problematic. At times it's automatic function would quit. Other times it would go into the "I'm not sure automatic mode is working so I will spin up every 2.5 minutes," which is annoying.

I replaced it with a Rule Mate 1100 GPH pump, RM1100B. Works fine. Two pluses:

-- The new pump is smaller, especially in width. I can now get fingers and cloths into the bilge on either side of the pump, so I can keep the bilge cleaner.

-- The sensing area of the new pump is fully exposed, so if it becomes coated with anything it will be much easier to clean.

I hope the new one lasts longer.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Interesting that the 35.1 has enough of a sump for an in-bilge pump. The 37 only has a small recess in the top off the keel to hold a few cups of water. There’s an electronic float switch and pickup hose for a remotely mounted diaphragm pump.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Below is the old bilge pump. Barely enough room for a Q-Tip between the sides of the bilge and the pump. Even removing the pump to clean the bilge doesn't help much since the bracket for the pump is the widest part. New pump nearly an inch narrower.

bilge.jpeg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Below is the old bilge pump. Barely enough room for a Q-Tip between the sides of the bilge and the pump. Even removing the pump to clean the bilge doesn't help much since the bracket for the pump is the widest part. New pump nearly an inch narrower.

View attachment 199167
Wow, about the same size sump as ours, but they decided to fit a pump in there instead of the remote pump. Pretty snug.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
This may sound illogical but a smaller 500 GPH will discharge the incidental water in your bilge just as well, with a much smaller footprint. Remember these small electrical pumps are just convenience items and not intended to handle any significant ingress of water. If I were to install a larger pump I would do it for a smaller boat as it would be likely to fill up faster. The best protection is to regularly inspect all thru hulls, valves, hoses and clamps, and the boat should be equipped with a manual gusher pump for in case of emergency. I know one owner that chose to install a 120V Sump Pump to work of shore power to protect their boat at the dock. I don't know, it is when at sea that I worry.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Wow, about the same size sump as ours, but they decided to fit a pump in there instead of the remote pump. Pretty snug.
My guess cost cutting a remote diaphram pump is 3x the cost and is self priming and is positive displacement , these impeller pumps are rated with no restrictions and at no lift height. Add in lift and hose length thru hull and your no where what the rating is. I added one into my bilge along with oringinal diaphram running a separate hose to back and used a "Y " fitting into thruhull for locker drain