New Anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary

After reading the archives on anchors for my Hunter 35, I have decided the my Danforth is probably not the best primary anchor for sailing in the Pacific NW, San Juan, Gulf Islands and north. I am trying to decide between Delta, Bruce or Horizon Claw. West Marine catalog lists the 33# Bruce at $230, the #33 Claw at $120, and the 35# Delta at $280. These are all relative prices because I know I can beat those prices at another store. The Danforth will be my backup anchor. Question: Is there really any difference between the Bruce and the Claw? Which of the three would you recommend? Thanks Gary

U

Ute Vladimir

Response to new anchor

Can't answer the question as to Bruce or Claw, but for all it's worth: For the past year I've anchored happily and worry-free with my 27 lb Bullwagga on my 35' O'Day. It's a new design that has gotten rave reviews from Practical Sailor and I can second those. You won't find it in the marine stores yet but there is usually an add in the sail magazines. Check it out

J

Jay Howell

Bruce vs. Claw

Some points for your consideration. The claw is a "cheap" imitation of the Bruce. The Bruce is much stronger. I purchased a Claw and made the following observation. Shank had a noticeable, visabile twist in it. Caused anchor to "cant" to the left. The "blades" were not symetrical in length or angle. Therefore it would/could have a deeper/stronger set on one tack/side than the other. Also, further study revealed some complaints/reports regarding breakage. I returned the Claw and bought the Bruce. Why risk your boat for a couple hundred dollars?? Just my opinion/experience.

P

Paul Akers

Consider this.

I have a friend who works for the national distributor of Bruce anchors. Bruce has a extroardinary warranty and he handles any returns. Given the unbeleivable strength of the Bruce anchors, he was amazed when a Bruce was returned for replacement that had a 90 degree bend in the shank. They never questioned what happen to cause this, but any anchor that can withstand that kind of strain without breaking is worth purchasing. I own a Bruce 33 that is the primary on my L37 and have extreme confidence in the anchor. It set quick and continues to hold. Then extraction was just as easy as setting.

D

Don Evans

Trust it With Your Life

I would highly recommend the Practical Sailor Review on anchors, both in hard packed sand and ooze. I was also happy to see Bruce anchors rated highly, but not as high as some depending on the matrix your anchoring in. Actually I don't recall anyone anchor doing exceptionally well in all bottom types. I can see the advantage of having 2 types, each good in different bottoms. You can buy back issues through their website www.practical- sailor.com. Review all components of your ground tackle including the bolts and backing plates/washers of your anchor cleats, chain/rope, shackles and clevis pins etc. Don

T

ted

anchor

ive done the same switch you are doing on my h35, i went from a danforth to a bruce. i decided to go with the 44lb one instead of the 33lb. for what its worth i did the switch mainly due to the fact that the bruce sets better on my stock anchor roller (i also have a electric windlass so anchor weights not to important) i think that with a bruce you can get a little careless and still have a good set, but if you set the old danforth right its held me in gale force winds for days. if i were to do the switch again i would spent more and get the CQR, i think its the best anchor for the pacific n.w

R

Ron Johnson

Bottom Conditions

The Bruce 33 is my primary and it works very dependably in sand or mud even with rock about. Not interested in a cheap copy.

G

Gary

Thanks on Anchor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on purchasing a new anchor. I am going to buy a Bruce 33, then off to Gulf Islands for 2 weeks starting 7/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.