New 37C owner

Aug 12, 2020
Hunter Cherubini 37C Pasadena, MD
Hi all - new hunter cherubini owner here, a 1982 37C. I bought her a year ago, but just got into these forums as I got deeper and deeper into the refit process...

Since I'm dealing with cabin deck rot, replacing portlights, recoring sections of the deck, replacing running rigging, and replacing a lot of the electrical system (which I have no idea how to do) - I've been, and will continue to be, using this forum a lot.

Thanks for all of the awesome help and knowledge here. This forum is great.
Tom

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
:plus:
And, enjoy all the refit work...
You'll be a happier boat owner when u think you're done. ;)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

When is sailing on your list?

dj

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter cheribini 37c Niceville florida
I’m a a new 37c owner myself. , although boat is in really good condition, not having to do much. Just cosmetic things. And some small electrical issues . I have number 388 of the cheribinis.. I wanna hear more

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
When it comes to electrical work on boats, I feel one needs to do an objective reflection on one's own abilities. Do you understand electrical work? Can you read and understand circuit diagrams? Can you read and understand standards? Do you have the technical skills to do the work? You should be able to do all the above, and do it well. If not, then you should get a marine electrician. It's not like working on cars or other "home" projects...

Just my 2 cents worth...

dj

Aug 6, 2020
actually. Boats are very similar setup as an Rv, any horse trailer with living quarters. It’s just an Rv on the water. It’s earth ground is to the engine instead of dirt, like a house , 110vac/12vdc operating systems are not very complicated .

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
actually. Boats are very similar setup as an Rv, any horse trailer with living quarters. It’s just an Rv on the water. It’s earth ground is to the engine instead of dirt, like a house , 110vac/12vdc operating systems are not very complicated .
I think that is exactly the problem that is rampant.

The HUGE difference is that boats sit in the water, and all examples above sit on land. While that may seem like an inconsequential difference, in my opinion, that is a major difference and requires knowledge specific to that environment.

dj

Aug 12, 2020
Hunter Cherubini 37C Pasadena, MD
Hey all - thanks for the good wishes.

@dLj re electrical, I think the last owner tried to work on her without a lot of expertise - and as a result I have a lot of non-marine grade wiring. I’m no electrician so I think that is likely one job I’ll outsource

As for timing, I am hopeful to have her in the water for next April. I want the deck recore done and the portlights reinstalled. She might sail a little heavy with the portlights out (ha)

@Tugslife congrats man! Lemme find her production number tomorrow. She was a wet boat when I bought her, so I have some structural work I have to do first before I tackle anything cosmetic.

Aug 6, 2020
I think that is exactly the problem that is rampant.

The HUGE difference is that boats sit in the water, and all examples above sit on land. While that may seem like an inconsequential difference, in my opinion, that is a major difference and requires knowledge specific to that environment.

dj
The only real difference is grounding. Which is not rocket science and parts. Same as. Hospital grade receptacles. versus. Residential . Don’t make a production out of something so simple. I’ve been An electrician for 35 years ans have worked on nearly everything none to man. Although some people ,, all people should hire qualified people to work on things, The reason I don’t do plumbing or mechanic work.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The only real difference is grounding. Which is not rocket science and parts. Same as. Hospital grade receptacles. versus. Residential . Don’t make a production out of something so simple. I’ve been An electrician for 35 years ans have worked on nearly everything none to man. Although some people ,, all people should hire qualified people to work on things, The reason I don’t do plumbing or mechanic work.
I'm very happy to see we have additional expertise available here in the forums. Very useful to help folks out. given your experience and expertise, I'm hoping you can help me out with some questions I've had for awhile.

When working to ABYS A28 - Galvanic Isolators, there are 5 tests required listed out in appendices 1 through 5:

1597508983474.png

My questions are in 2 parts:
1) if you didn't really have the equipment to do all the above tests, what tests do you think you'd skip, if you feel you could skip any, and why do you feel you could skip that test if in fact you feel you could skip one of these tests?

2) To perform the above tests, there are several pieces of electrical equipment that needed, a 120V AC power supply, a resistive load bank, Variable DC power supply, a 60Hz variable AC power supply, a digital temperature computerized logger, oscilloscope, volt meter and ammeter along with some things like shunts and other electrical things. My question here is what requirements do you think is needed for the three underlined items in that list. I think I probably have the variable DC power supply covered, but I'm not sure. And I have no idea what I need for the 60 Hz variable AC power supply nor the resistive load bank.

Any insight you can give me on the above would be greatly appreciated.

dj

p.s. @Tugslife - sorry forgot to tag you..

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020
I'm sure you will get some insight from @Tugslife or other knowledgeable forum members here but @Maine Sail has an excellent guide to galvanic isolators on his website: Marine How To
sorry everyone, I’ve been terribly busy , Closed on my 37c Friday . Moving in, making changes etc. would love to help anyone if I can Feel free to call on me if you have any problems,,, thanks Jim