New 310 Owner

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 284 Casco, ME
Hi all! I am the new owner of hull 284, a 2005 model. My patience let me find a great boat! The POs took excellent care of her and upgraded many systems.

I sail in Maine and the season is coming to a close, so it will be next year before I get to really enjoy her. I had to travel a bit to find the boat, and don't have ready access to for planning over the winter, but after reading through the posts here, I'm already thinking of several projects to add my personal touches. I was able to explore the boat thoroughly with the surveyor and on my own. I was also able to take a bunch of measurements for some projects (cockpit doors, folding wheel, canvas covers, storage solutions and such). And the resources available from the PO, manuals, and online are excellent sources of info and will keep me busy over the winter. However, any advice for a new 310 owner from the experts here is appreciated.

Two "first world" comfort projects I'm thinking about and would appreciate info on from anyone that has firsthand knowledge are:
1. Replacing the factory toilet with a household size bowl. Specifically, there seem to be some conflicting reports on whether the larger unit will fit in the space available. I'll be ok with the manual flush but could be convinced to go electric if it is worth it. I'm not likely to be away from the dock (and shore power) for long cruises since I'll be on a lake. (I have the "preventing boat odors" book and have read the author's posts here. They are yet another great source of info!)
2. Has anyone mounted a 32" TV so it can swivel through the opening between the forward cabin and the salon? The cabin bulkhead is already reinforced for a wall mount, but I'm wondering if the TV itself will be too big for the spaces.

Thanks to all! I'm glad to be a member of this club!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Welcome aboard sbo.com!
There are a few things you need to do to prep for winter layup...you'll find some of them in the article "Winterizing Plumbing" in the Plumbing and Sanitation forum.
--Peggie

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 284 Casco, ME
Thanks! I read your book!! Winterization has been sorted by the marina (part of the sale). I'll take a look at the article and ensure they follow the recommendations Thank you.