New 26X

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben

I am in the process of purchasing a new 26X. Next week I pick the options that I will want. How about power. My dealer recomends The Johnson 50. The reviews look good but would like to hear from someone who actually uses one. Would welcome any advice. I am very new to sailing. Thanks for the help. Ben

G

George Lavoie

50 HP

Any 50hp 4 stroke would be good, just might consider weight, Honda is one of the lightest and made in the USA.

M

Mike

HP vs Use

Sailing and powerboating are two different things. If you plan to spend almost all of your time with the mast rigged then you will need to keep your water ballast tank full to stabalize the boat. With water ballast in (about 1400 lbs) you'r just not going to be pulling skiers. The boat is too heavy and will sit too low in the water to plane. In this case you are restricted to the rules that apply to displacement hulls. For general sailing a 10 to 20 hp motor is all you will ever need for this hull. If you plan on leaving the mast and rigging ashore then you can get the hull to plane with a 50hp as long as you empty the ballast tank. Yes you can pull water skiers and tubers etc. It really depends on what you want to use the boat for. A big 50hp motor on the transom is going to make the boat less sailworthy than a lighter motor. I'm sure the dealer would rather sell you a 50hp motor than a 20hp one. With the ballast tank flooded you will see little if any increase in speed between the two. If your going to be out with the mast stepped and in sailing configuration than you MUST have your ballast tank flooded, and then a fifty is wasted weight and cost. Happy sailing (or powerboating), Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.