New 170

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2006
Hunter 170 New Orleans
I picked up my new 170 yesterday. Planning on getting it wet for the first time this afternoon. I am curious about the shroud tension. From the dealer, the shrouds are set at their loosest spot. There is some play in the standing rigging after I step the mast and connect everything. Should I tighten the shrouds? As much as I can? A bit tighter than it is now? The Kid

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Shroud Tension

LSU Kid, I am glad you asked that question because I was about to ask it myself. I was looking over the owners manual last night and the only refrence I can find to how it should be set said something like, and I paraphrase, "tighten the shroud tension until the leward shroud does not "flap." To me this did not help much. I did notice that in the manual on the drawing it showed it set in the numbe 3 hole. I think leaving it at its loosest would be dangerous if you had any strong wind. Let me know if you find out any other information. By the way, did or do you have any trouble stepping your mast by yourself?

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Shroud Tension

LSu Kid, I just called the dealer where I purchased my boat and ask him how to configure the tensions and he said it should be set "somewhere in the middle" and suggested about the number 3. He also said that to get it to that level you will first need to step the mast with the tension set the loosest you can get it then, with the topping lift attached to the boom, pull on the mainsheet to tighten the mast. He then suggested having someone lean on the mast to loosen the shround on one side and lower the tension setting. Do the same thing for the other side until you have them in the correct holes. Hope this helped.

Sep 17, 2006
Hunter 170 New Orleans
Thanks Tim

Sounds inconveniat to set tight. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I also found some other threads about Johnson levers which can be bought at West Marine. Sounds easier than the original equipment. The small ones were like 24.00 each. I'm thinking I need them bad. The Kid

J

Jeff Wessel

levers

Kid, Check out the thread on levers. I just wrote a procedure on proper tension and how to mount the levers. I found that it works great on my boat. My dealership recommended the levers to me because he said that it was very easy to damage the boat by cranking it down on the winch with the topping lift. Hope that helps.

Sep 17, 2006
Hunter 170 New Orleans
Thanks

I had ordered the levers from West's online.... The store in New Orleans isn't reopened yet. It was (is) in the Lakeview subdivision where the levee broke. Anyway the levers arrived today and with your instructions, I installed them with no problems.... well yet anyway. I had plans to sail this afternoon, but the promised 5-10 knot winds never developed. Weather reports say the 10 knot North winds will arrive late tomorrow morning so I will give the new levers a trial run then. I installed all four in the #3 holes and expect to move two of them to #4. So thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.