Neptune 24 Mast

Mar 30, 2021
Neptune 24 CB Carter Lake
Hi all,
New here and just started sailing about 3 years ago. I have a 1978 Capital Yachts Neptune 24CB. A year ago our mast was snapped in half by a crazy windstorm (I'm in Colorado, huuuuge lakes here let me tell ya). A local person put a sleeve on the mast but now the mast moves at the joint too much so I'm trying to find a replacement that isn't cu$tom made if at all possible.

Is there some resource for finding hard to find masts? I can't seem to find one for my boat listed anywhere using the interwebs.

Also can I just get a mast from a Catalina or something from a similar sized boat and cut it down to size and adjust the rigging or is that big no-no?

Thanks

20200506_172936.jpg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!! Mat snapped.....ouch. This link says it has a 29 ft mast http://www.mostsailboats.org/1981-capitol-yachts-neptune-24-2/ but measure it to be sure. You will also need the diameter and wall thickness.

You can purchase replacement new mast from Rig Rite and other spar manufactures like Dwyer, Seldn Sparcraft, etc. Rig-Rite Inc. - Masts, Booms, Spars, Rigging, and Hardware for Sailboats.

You can also purchase a replacement used mast from any number of used mast suppliers by doing an internet search on "used sailboat mast".

As far as buying a used mast from a similar sized boat and cut it down to size and adjust the rigging is doable and suggest discussing your replacement with a rigger. This link might be helpful: cutting down aluminum masts

Mar 30, 2021
Neptune 24 CB Carter Lake
Thanks for the info! That's interesting that the boat you sent the link to had a 29' mast. Mine is the center board version so I wonder if that's why it shorter. I still have the original owners manual and it says 25'6".

The guy that repaired mine didn't use epoxy or anything on the sleeve. I'm going to try and just put a pile of 1/4" SS rivets and see if that will hold for a few months while I continue the search. I'll post more pictures if it comes down again :)