Needing a new motor for my Catalina 22

Apr 22, 2022
Catalina C 22 Santa Barbara
I have had a 2 stroke... and old 4 stroke and currently a Lehr Propane. (Can't find anyone who works on the Lehr!). I'm needing to replace the motor... Thinking about a new Mercury 9.9... Any pros or cons or suggestions are appreciated! It is about 10 minutes from where the boat is moored to where I pull up the sails (ocean)

Thanks!!

Jay

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Welcome to the forum.

9.9 is overkill

6hp Tohatsu Sail Pro Extra long shaft.
Designed for sailboats and has 5.amp alternator output though it is debatable if it much use at the low RPMs that motor needs to push a C22

Lots of discussions here on it and a huge number of other topics for the Catalina 22.

Great bunch of people here and a wealth of knowledge.

If I lived near you I would try work on that Lehr just because others won't. Hehe.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
I would consider Tohatsu 8HP
The 9HP may prove to be too heavy for the OEM Spring Loaded Lift you currently have and also more HP that what is recommended.
We sail the Gulf and our New 8HP Tohatsu is plenty enough engine. Plan to have difficulty finding one and while discussing other added features, make sure you request a rectifier addition for battery backup while running the engine. Make sure the enging is also a 20" Shaft

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Welcome to the forum.

6hp Tohatsu Sail Pro Extra long shaft.

Lots of discussions here on it and a huge number of other topics for the Catalina 22.

Great bunch of people here and a wealth of knowledge.

If I lived near you I would try work on that Lehr just because others won't. Hehe.
:plus:

Tohatsu Sail Pro is the default answer you'll get, and for lots of good reasons. A 2-cylinder (e.g. the 9.9) would probably run somewhat smoother than a 1-cylinder (6 and below), but won't move you along any faster - hull speed always wins. I haven't heard many people saying they found a big gain to upsize; I did the opposite (from a Honda 7.5 -> Tohatsu 6), and my back thanks me every time I mount it or lift it out of the water.

Besides the 25" extra-long shaft (great in waves), the "Sail Pro" model includes a magneto (for a little battery charging) and a high-thrust prop. I haven't done side-by-side comparisons, but I'm told the latter makes a meaningful difference on our C-22s (on a 5-6 knot displacement hull, we don't want a prop optimized for 15-20). If you find a non-Sail Pro Tohatsu for an attractive price, you can replace the prop for ~$100 (and probably add the magneto, although I'm not certain of that).

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Sail pro all the way, 5-6hp xlong 25” shaft is nice. You don’t have to bury the power head behind the transom in normal conditions