NEED rudder for S25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
45mpg gusts and the rudder sheared off just outside the hull. Would deeply appreciate either a line on a used rudder, who might build one, or the design so I can have one fabricated.

Quite the adventure bringing her home with a 30 year old Johnson 9.9 and using the jib to point the boat.

Thank you for any leads!!!!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
45mpg gusts and the rudder sheared off just outside the hull. Would deeply appreciate either a line on a used rudder, who might build one, or the design so I can have one fabricated.

Quite the adventure bringing her home with a 30 year old Johnson 9.9 and using the jib to point the boat.

Thank you for any leads!!!!
You might try Foss Foam, they did not make the original S25 Rudder but odds are they can make you something that will work. http://newrudders.com/ or on this site http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail-ff.htm?group=889
The S25 rudder shaft is 1 1/2" pipe which measures 1.9" OD early boats used schedule 80 Aluminum shafts, most of which have probably fizzled by now. Later boats had 304 stainless shafts schedule 40 in the beginning then switched to schedule 80 which was the same as the 299/30T

Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
I found a rudder design drawing for the 29.9... what would be the difference between that and the 25 rudder?

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Same basic shape just more area (larger in all dimensions except shaft OD). You could probably scale down the 299 rudder basic profile by using the 25s' draft and reduce size accordingly. Bob designed the S25 not that long after the original Hunter 25 (in fact early boats used the Hunter 25 keel) it might be easiest and least expensive to modify a Foss Foam Hunter 25 rudder with a 1.9 OD shaft installed at Foss. You will have to make changes to fit the skeg and shaft length will be different.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Go to the Seidelmann owner's sight. I know someone who just scrapped out a S-25, but put an add out on that sight and someone came and bought the rudder and some other parts off of it. Maybe it is a spare to him and will sell it. Just request info there like you are doing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.