Need pics of rigging the back of the sail to the back end of the boom. Mac V222 1976

Slavik

Aug 20, 2022
MacGregor Venture 222 Lake Pleasant
Hello. Trying to get the proper rigging diagram for the main sail attachment to the back end of the boom

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Try searching "boom outhaul rigging". You may even get lucky if you mention your specific boat. I think your Venture 222 rig is pretty basic and would look something like this.... without the extra purchase block nearer the cleat. You simply need one cheek block mounted near end of the boom, on the side and a Vee cleat with fairlead (to keep the control line in position when un cleated. You can alwasy add the extra purchase if you find it necessary. An important thing is to keep the clew from lifting up. For sails that are loose footed, where the bottom of the sail is unattached to the boom, many sailmakers will add one or two slugs, right in from of the clew, to fit in the boom's slot. If your mainsail foot is completely attached to the boom, there will belilttle chance of a problem. However, attached foot mainsails are much less responsive to the outhaul unless the sail has been modified with an extra fold of sail cloth sewn in that collapses when the line is tensioned. That is unlikely on your entry level boat, but you can certainly have one installed by your sailmaker if you desire. The fact is it's easier and less costly to rig a loose foot mainsail.

I should also mention that learning as much sailboat nomenclature as possible will help you in the future, making it easier to track down the many questions you'll inevitably face. So, you might also use google or your favorite search engine to find a good reference. "sailboat nomenclature" would be a good start. Have fun, good luck.
Sailboat nomenclature

Slavik

Aug 20, 2022
MacGregor Venture 222 Lake Pleasant
That's great thanks. I think it'll work. The nomenclature I'm good with but there have been several previous owners of my boat and they added and removed a whole mess of stuff so I'm trying to figure it out and then post my results for others looking.