Need original boom length of DS2?

PCUSA

Feb 8, 2018
Mariner 19 stoney park
Hi,
I am new to DS2 and got a boat needs work. I was told the previous owner likes DS1 setup so he reconfigured some features on the DS2, basically the triangle traveler attached to the end of boom. Maybe this is better for control the main sail using less strength? Anyway, I got the boat only with main sail, no jib. I found some spec on sailboatdata and DSbylaw3 stating boom length is about 10 ft. Mine is 11.5'. I am curious on the original length of the boom. I am guessing 10.5' since the racing bylaw 3 said max main sail foot is 10'. My main sail was not original either, it's foot length is only 8.5'. So it is smaller. I know I need to make a jib sail but I really hate to make the more complicated main sail. My main sail has FOGH Apollo logo on it. Guess have to live with it for a while. Luckily, the main sail match the luff of the mast, 20'. Maybe I should called this Apollo sail as a trainer sail.
If you know the original DS2,please help. Thanks.
PC

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
10'4" but how about this........ If you end up buying used Day Sailer boom (After fully reading your post, I see that you already have a boom) (all years, DS I ,DS II, DS III) used the same boom as the Javelin. This is part of my Expanded DS II Manual. For Sails, check used Sail outlets, or for a bargain-priced set of new sails, check out INTENSITY SAILS. they are on-line plus often have sails listed on eBay. DAY SAILER Association www.daysailer.org often has used sails for sale that are offered to new owners to promote the Class. I think they may have some free??
Worth checking out the forums on the DSA web site and you can read and post without being a member of the DSA. There is a sign-up for those forums but I have not had any problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

PCUSA

Feb 8, 2018
Mariner 19 stoney park
The reason I asked is because previous owner may rebuild this main sail and mix with DS1 and DD2. Anyway the control maim sheet is strange to me and I will also put a backup outboard. Boom plan is different. I think he also use the boom vang to tight the main sail. I don't want to spend a lot to correct mystery design. Unfortunately i purchased his from his survival wife. She told me the DS1 Boom on the DS2 boat.