Need new deck surface

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Gel Coat missing
Not sure if there is a question here, or just stating a fact.

One option, if you are looking for a way to add some non-skid to the deck, is to use KiwiGrip. It goes on like thick texture paint, and once dry, covers the deck and provides a “non-skid” surface.

Or, if you don’t need nonskid, you could just paint it (with a good 2-component marine paint made for this sort of application.

Or you could apply new gel coat.

In all cases, a fair amount of prep work is involved to get good, long-lasting results.

Greg

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Looks like you have a good textured surface to start with. I wonder if a topside paint like Brightside would improve the cosmetics while retaining the non-slip qualities.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
Ok. This looks like a job that needs to be done when it is warm. I think that I will need to paint the deck white and then put down the KiwiGrip on top. I think that this will have to be done on few days in July.

Now I need to know what the best deck paint is to use for my deck.

I am looking for something that is not difficult to use and will stay intact for another 10 years.

The hull looks good. I keep it waxed and re-waxed through the year. Every other year I remove the wax and re-wax. I use the method described by Maine Sail, "Tips For A Great Buff & Wax"

The deck is cleaned with sponges. I live in Georgia and years when it is very moist it grows thing in the cracks. I did not use cleaners with abrasives. I have not used the scratchy side of a sponge but the gel coat was eaten away. I use Woody Wax on the deck and it keeps the deck clean and looking nice. I am not sure why I am loosing the gel coat on the deck.

How hard is is to keep KiwiGrip and a painted deck clean?

I like the rubber boat flooring idea. I have a Snark and have fiberglassed the body of the Snark. That might make a good place to sit. The fiberglass on the Snark is smooth and it is difficult to brace yourself.

I have read other posts on painting boats. However, tech changes things and I like to keep up with new tech. I would appreciate information from someone that has used a product and how it worked.