need new boom advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Berry

I am new to sailing and I just acquired a 70's 22' Venture for free from a family member. It was in a trailering accident last year and the boom was bowed. I am clueless to what a new boom would cost and was wondering how I might go about getting a used one and what I should pay for a used/ new replacement boom.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Mast suggestions.

Mark, hunt down a few spars suppliers on the Web. Try DAMCO, aka Dywer Aluminium Spars Co., in New England (they're on the Web-- just search). Get sales on the phone and tell them what you need. Then try a few other people too. You're probably NOT going to get an exact replacement as Macgregor did not really BUY 'masts'. The old man bought aluminium extrusions and cut them to length, fitted all the hardware with pop-rivets, and installed it. Anything you get from someone like DAMCO is going to be FAR superior to that. If it were me I would take the opportunity to specify internal halyards, double sheaves, sliding gooseneck, and some other stuff. The Venture 22 is a super little boat and could be very competitive if equipped and sailed well. I'd like to see you really enjoy it. BTW -if you don't want it, call me! [laugh] -but seriously. JC JComet@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.