Need help on details about Capri 14.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Juan

Hi: i don't know enought about Capri 14.2s and I am looking at one now that is for sale. I am guessing that it is a version 2 of this boat from about 1990. This is the Capri 14.2 with the small insert storage compartment. My questions: On the right seat there is a hand hole that has been installed. I opened it and inside are several 5 gallon jugs. I asked the people who own it and they knew nothing. one theory is that it is the flotation. I doubt that but could it be? Then why is there no hand hole on the other side. When the boat was out of the water, I removed the drain plug at the back of the boat which would drain the inners of the boat. A bunch of water came out. i think all of it. We put the boat in the water for about 30 minutes (not under sail) and afterwards even more water came out of the drain plug. how is the water getting in. when I checked the hand hole noted above. There was the water. The centerboard seems to have as its stop mechanism when it is in the down position a stainless steel bolt that just lies across the centerboard opening and on the deck. Is that it? I have only owned large boats, never a small one and definitely not one with a centerboard. When in the water, i have to assume it is typical that water is present in the centerboard well about 2 inches below the cockpit deck. correct? What else should I be checking on this boat. didn't get to see the bottom. This boat was owned until recently by a sailing school and the 13 year boy who is an instructor bought it a couple of months ago and now just wants to get rid of it. price is only abotut $700 thoughts??? thanks

S

Searay0301@aol.com

Water in Hull

My 14' boat made by Catalina Capri is an "Omega" model. Built in 1979. Hull #1326. I bought her 5 years ago for $750. A fun boat. I have just put a furler on the jib to make it a little easier for sailing single handed. This boat also has the small compartment in the bow. Just recently I "turtled" the boat and had a heck of a time righting her up. When I got back to shore and on the trailer I opened the drain plug and a lot of water came out. I think that the water could of helped me to spill. I got caught by a sudden "Burst" which threw me out very quickly. (What a lousy sailor) I have small spider cracks in the hull. But haven't had water up to now. Trying to analyze problem and correct if possible. Looking into purchasing an 18' Capri (1996) with a wing keel. Anyone familiar with that boat.

J

Joe Ford

Some general help...

... I have owned a laser, sunfish, nacra 5.2 and 5.8 over the years. Water getting into the hull is a common problem, thus the drain plugs. To inspect the hull for water tightness: Remove the boat from the water, put it on blocks (or a trailer), close all accesses to the hull -hatches, drain plugs etc. Seal a length hose to the boat's drain opening with duct tape. (Some folks use a vacuum cleaner & hose, but be carefull, my feeling is that you might damage some of the seals) Anyway, once you get it airtight, cover the boat with soapy water, blow air into the hull and look for the bubbles. Most of my leakes were from failed seals on inspection ports and hardware attachment points. These types are easily repaired. If you find problems near the hull/deck joint, or the daggerboard/centerboard sleeve, you may be looking at some more complex repairs. Once you know the truth, you control the negotiation. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.