Hunter 33 salem
I am looking at a 2007 Hunter 33 and want to hear the bad stuff (if any) before
I spend.

Are there any known issues with model?

Thanks for any help you can provide

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Good or bad boats are an individual judgement. I have a 2005 Hunter 33 and really enjoy the boat. It's not a big as the 2006 Hunter 38 I used to own which I don't like. It's bigger than the Catalina 30 that was my first boat. What are you looking for in your next boat?

If there are specific questions you have, I'd be happy to add my opinion.

KBG

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am looking at a 2007 Hunter 33 and want to hear the bad stuff (if any) before
I spend.

Are there any known issues with model?

Thanks for any help you can provide
What sail plan does the boat have? In-mast furling main or traditional sail?

I don’t own one, but there are 3 in my marina. I have sailed on 2 of them. Both are 2004 or 2005 I think.

Pros - large cockpit, traveller on arch (at least with the in-mast furling option), B&R rig (no backstay).

Cons - in-mast furling…unless you like them. More complicated, sail has to be in fairly good condition,

No issues with the hull or keel a. Any of the boats in my marina. They sail nicely, may or may not be set up for a spinnaker (1 guy has one, 1 guy does not). Both owners added feathering/folding props.

Cabin is not as nice as I thought they would be…ok, but nothing special. 1 boat has an oven, one just a stove top. Dorm-like fridge IIRC.

Both have 3 cylinder Yanmars. One of them had a relay or solenoid go bad for the fuel cut off, so he couldn’t start the engine. This engine doesn’t use a fuel cut-off cable like older Yanmars…the key triggers the solenoid to run, turning key to off shuts off the solenoid. So, if it doesn’t work, you cannot run the engine.

Overall, nice boat, sails pretty well. If I didn’t already own a 32 foot boat, I would consider one…but now I want a Hunter 356 or 36 of similar vintage and Glenn Henderson design.:)

Greg

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Not junk! Sweet sailing boat. Stiff sailing with fine entry and hollow bows. She is not a blue water boat that will take you around the horn. But for most coastal conditions she will do just fine. She has a broad beam that's carried well aft which translates to lots of room down below compared to other boats her size. The 6' + headroom is in the middle of the saloon and does not carry all the way fore and aft. I'm 6'3 and duck for most of the length of the cabin. The side decks are a little slim and partially blocked by the stays holding up the B&R rig. Going forward past midship is best accomplished on the cabin top.
She has a lot of open space for a boat of her size. Of course, whether or not she will meet your needs will depend on how you intend to user her.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
I owned a 2011 H33. Overall, we loved the boat, but got 3 foot itis and bought a Marlow Hunter 37.
Things we loved...
Secure large cockpit. Great sailing boat. You didn't have to go through the galley to access the aft cabin. ROOMIEST GALLEY you'll find on a 33 foot boat. My wife liked the salon layout better than our MH-37. We had the Selden rolling furler, which was pretty easy to operate compared to the z-spar version on my MH-37. No leak cabin ports.

Cons..
Low battery capacity...just two Group 24 deep cycles. same with water capacity. Aft berth cushions were pretty hard and adding a 3" foam topper really made the cabin tight.
Small refrigerator, couldn't carry a lot of groceries for a longer cruise. No silverware drawer???? No separate shower stall. We never could get the packing stuffing box adjusted correctly and it actually came loose on us once.

Jul 16, 2021
Hunter 33-2 Patchogue
Hi - We own a 2004 H33. This is our third Hunter in this size range (326 and 336 previously). We really like this model as there is, seemingly, more cabin room since the mast is not in the table like prior models (it is in forward cabin -which is much bigger as a result and includes a nice bench seat and is big enough for 2 adults too sleep in ). Yanmar 27HP powers the boat easily and Sail Plan is typical Hunter (we do not have in mast furler) where mainsail is huge. We normally will have a reef in it as can get overpowered where we sail (always 15+ gusts in Great South Bay, NY) with 115% head sail. Highly recommend this boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Originally the 33 came with a small engine which is ok for lake sailing but not for larger bodies of water as it was more difficult to maneuver and lack of speed. After a strong discussion with Warren Luhrs, a larger engine was offered. As a dealer, I sold the first 33 with the smaller engine to a friend for inland lake sailing at dealers cost. However I have been retired for a long time and cannot remember the size or hp ratings as I am having brain fart

Crazy dave