Need a stern pulpit for a 1976 Cat 22

Jul 24, 2022
Catalina 22 #6127 Dallas, TX
Hello Everyone,

I need a stern pulpit for a 1976 Catalina 22 that I just bought. Anyone have one they don't need?

It has a bow pulpit but no stern pulpit, stanchions or lifelines (of course). I want to put the lifelines back on it.

I just acquired 4 stanchions, but I believe I need the piece that mounts the stanchion to the deck..., yes?

I'm a first-time boat owner, so any assistance would be very much appreciated.

James Ivey
Dallas, TX

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I don't have one, but I can tell you that the lifelines are a bit of a debate among C22 owners. I just recently removed my lifelines after a trip with other C22 owners. I feel like they get in the way and don't offer much in terms of support. Most people will tell you that they have been tripped by their lifelines more than they've been saved by them.

The stern rail is a different story though, and I like having mine for a number of reasons.

The downside to removing the lifelines is that I haven't removed the stanchions yet, and the jib gets caught on them when you are tacking, so I'm hoping to fully remove the stanchions as well in the future.

I think the stanchions without lifelines is worse the worst of both worlds, so I'm planning to put the lifelines back on until I can fully remove the stanchions.

Jul 24, 2022
Interesting... Thanks for the reply brockangelo.

I want to put my boat in a slip for at least 2-3 months while I figure out what I'm going to do with it besides learn to sail :)

Don't I need the lifelines to tie the fenders to?

Feb 28, 2022
I typically put my fenders on the dock. When I’ve hung them from the lifelines they never seem to hang down enough. Just depends on how much line you have attached to them I suppose and my fender lines are pretty short.

Jul 24, 2022
I typically put my fenders on the dock. When I’ve hung them from the lifelines they never seem to hang down enough. Just depends on how much line you have attached to them I suppose and my fender lines are pretty short.
That makes sense. I've got a set of fenders should be here in a couple days... I'll just put them on the slip.

Thanks!

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Interesting... Thanks for the reply brockangelo.

I want to put my boat in a slip for at least 2-3 months while I figure out what I'm going to do with it besides learn to sail :)

Don't I need the lifelines to tie the fenders to?
We often clip a fender to the jib cleats - a couple wraps around a winch and through the cleat. And a clove hitch around a shroud works well too.

Our 22 came with a couple fender clips mounted on each side. I like the idea, but not the implementation. The nylon inserts are sticky; my wife and kids can't always get them in or out (and I think if I sanded them down any more, I would risk them falling out on their own). I'd replace them if I could find something similar that would latch in place and still come out easily.

The Perko fender locks are a similar idea, but I wondered if they might be able to slide up and out on their own (e.g. when rocked by wake). Fender Lock Hanger | West Marine

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
not really-- fat little '22 has all of it's beam in a fairly compact window. Fenders always tied on my stock hand rails: To your question on the stern rail -- '73 has no such animal and honestly can't see cluttering up the stern more than it already is by design. Personal choice of course, but stern rail and lifelines are more likely to send me overboard than save me from it, just not enough room to negotiate with all the extraneous hardware.

IMG_2772.jpg

Jul 24, 2022
not really-- fat little '22 has all of it's beam in a fairly compact window. Fenders always tied on my stock hand rails: To your question on the stern rail -- '73 has no such animal and honestly can't see cluttering up the stern more than it already is by design. Personal choice of course, but stern rail and lifelines are more likely to send me overboard than save me from it, just not enough room to negotiate with all the extraneous hardware.

View attachment 207982
Pretty boat!!

Thanks pclarksurf. I appreciate your input.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tip: always tie your fenders to the boat, not the dock. then the fenders rub on the dock not the hull. the dock takes the abrasion, not the hull.

my $0.02

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
You probably want the split stern rail for your old design with a removable lifeline across the stern. see below, Ordered mine from catalina direct can also get the mounting gear with it our buy from big box hardware store.
a Installation parts from Lowes.jpg
g Tighten up screws with butyl tape for sealent.jpg
i Finished port side.jpg
j All done both sides.jpg

Feb 28, 2022
9FA5E16B-B761-416C-B749-8311764B06B5.jpeg

Here is something I’m experimenting with today: attaching the front Bimini straps to the mast. Now I have easy access to the front of the boat on both sides. I lose some lateral stability, so I’ll have to test it under sail. But I plan to put the life lines back in for the time being. It uncluttered the sides a lot.

• Helpful
Sep 14, 2014
Most put the clip for the forward bimini strap on the handrails , see picture attached
solar film on ports.jpg
solar film on ports.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
sorry about twofer pix, the clip is on the top of the handrail just above the space between windows.

Feb 28, 2022
Yep mine are on the outside of the rail but the straps always seem to get in the way. I have been sailing lately with just one side attached and it’s been fine. Didn’t get a chance to sail with them attached to the mast yesterday. The heat was just too much

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
My take on the fwd bimini strap attachment points was to make loops of paracord and use those like soft shackles to play around with the straps. I put them at the bottom of the stanchions, various places along the hand rails, the metal loop at the base of the mast step. Come to think of it, I still haven't quite decided where to put the bimini straps for good yet......

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I agree with @pclarksurf.

For inland/lake sailing, I'd have a very long list of higher priorities than lifelines and a pushpit. On a pre-1987 boat, I wouldn't have lifelines at all - the stanchions block your way forward, and do their best to break your toes. On a trailer, they do their best to trip you, and send you tumbling headfirst to the concrete below. I removed them from my '79, after giving them the name "deathlines". :biggrin:

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I have a 1971 with no lifelines or stern pulpit. My 1987 has both. I like the stern pulpit, but not the lifelines. They get in the way of moving forward and with sheeting the jib. I'm considering removing the lifelines and stanchions. The stern pulpit is nice for the BBQ. =)