Need a solenoid for a Universal M18.

Sep 7, 2018
Catalina 30 Marina
My engine starts but keeps trying to turn over after starting up. Looking to replace the solenoid but I can't find them online. I checked Kumar here. But they don't say what I need. I was wondering if there was another place to buy from or if anyone knows the correct part.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Check your start button or key switch to make sure it's not sticking and powering the "S" wire to the solenoid. ie there should be no voltage in the wire unless you are cranking.

If it's the solenoid sticking, it's a very standard solenoid. You can use these P/nos:
Kubota 70000-65425 or Nippondenso 053400-5280, -5282, -5290

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The push buttons are prone to sticking closed esp if rubber boot is compromised

Sep 7, 2018
Catalina 30 Marina
I replaced the starter button. After the engine starts when I turn off the key switch and pull the engine stop lever the engine continues cranking. I can push the stop lever in and the engine fires up again but continues cranking. Only way to stop it is to turn off battery power. I was told I could hit the solenoid to see if it releases but it didn't work for me.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Again pull the wire to the starter (push connector) and see if it tries to start

If not it’s a short somewhere if it does solenoid stuck. I was not aware you could buy solenoid apart from starter.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
I don’t “get” the troubleshooting. Doesn’t make logical sense.

If you pull the “S” wire there’s no way no how that the solenoid/starter will kick in to test anything.

A short on the “S” wire won’t keep the starter engaged. A short will burn up your harness (and possibly boat, because there’s no over current protection on the harness.)

The procedure would be to start her, then pull the “S” wire (at the solenoid or panel end) and see if the starter kicks out. If so, it’s the start switch that’s fubar, not the solenoid. (Actually It’s safer to disconnect it at the panel and just energize it in order to start. Or disconnect it and use a clip-on remote PB start switch on the “S” terminal.)

It the starter motor stays engaged with the “S” then disconnected, it’s not as easy to tie down. It could be electrical, ie, the solenoid or even the starter itself (the way the Denso starter operates) or it could be mechanical ie, the overriding clutch not disengaging once the flywheel spins faster than the starter pinion gear.

Yes, the solenoid is separate (common knowledge among official IC30A forum members, we run across this **all** the time.) LOL.