Need a rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crew 3

I am the advisor for a Scout Venture Crew (young men and women, ages 14-21) in Jacksonville. They were given a Mac25 by a generous donor. They are all neophyte sailors and are just beginning to learn. Unfortunately, due to a failure to properly secure it, the rudder was lost. Is it possible to build a rudder? Does anyone have plans or specs? The kids are really begining to enjoy their new adventure, but need to get back on the water as soon as possible. There are also several other repairs and modifications that need to be made, I'm sure, but one step at a time. Pam DeMent-Liebenow crew3@attbi.com

J

Jamie

Jacksonville Native

I used to live down in Jacksonville! I am a college student at Lehigh University, 20 years old. I have a 26S that I could probably take some measurements from and pass them along to you. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to make your own rudder the only tricky part would be that the rudder would probably want to float if it was made of wood. You may be able to get a local surf shop to make one out of fiberglass and they may not even charge you if they know it's for kids. Man, I wish I had known about you guys when I was down there. I took a week sailing class on sunfish down in the st. johns. Where are you guys located? If I am in the area I'll stop by. I used to live in Ponte Vedra.

C

Crew 3

Rudder help

Thanks. Any help we can get is appreciated. Our Crew home base is on Wesconnett on the West Side, but the boat is kept at Camp Echockotee on Dr's Lake in Orange Park. Come visit when you get down. Check us out at www.home.attbi.com/~crew3

C

Chris Slade

Stitch & Glue Rudder Blade By Thomas M. Stockwell

I found this on this web site, it is for the MacGregor 26D, but should work for your 25. Try this out, http://www.macgregor-boats.com/tsrud/tsrud.pdf now that is for building a rudder & only for the bottom section, you will still need to construct the upper portion of the rudder. I would also recommend contacting MacGregor directly, they are very helpful. MacGregor Yacht Corporation 1631 Placentia Costa Mesa, California, 92627 Phone 949-642-6830 Good luck, Chris

M

Mike

Good old Oak

Yes Pam, you can make a very nice rudder out of wood. My original rudder for my Mac 25 had a small split in the fiberglass and became waterlogged. I made my new rudder from oak because I had that handy. Being a dense heavy wood I don't have a problem with it floating up off the guedgeons. My replacement is oversized as I dislike the tendancy of the 25 to head up into the wind when it starts to blow a little. While this was designed in for safety of the novice, I don't like to have to put the rudder over that hard to stay on course. The boat responds well with less rudder deflection and that means less drag. I laminated my rudder out of 1"x8" oak. Using three planks I came up with a blank 24" wide. To make it stronger I added several oak stips that were glued into a groove routed into the sides of the blank rudder. The strips run fore and aft with the grain of the insert strips running the same way. I have these about every 14 inches on each side and they are staggered from side to side to prevent a weakened area in the blank. All glue joints were made with two part epoxy glue and clamped. I roughed out a pleasing shape for the part of the rudder above the waterline and left the bottom oversized. After a trial sail I trimmed the rudder down in stages untill I found the the feel I was looking for, Plenty of control but not too sensative or too much drag. A final sanding and varnishing (I had a light protective coat of varnish for the trials) and trimmed out with brass screws and I have a rudder that feels good to my hand and looks good to the eye. The rudder won't float off the pintles as the wood above the water, along with the tiller and fittings are all pressing down and there is not enough wood underwater to float it. I recomend securing the rudder with a lanyard to the outboard bracket. I kept me from loosing my original one more than once. Happy Sails, Mike

P

Pam DeMent-Liebenow

Building a Rudder - Thanks to all

Well, thaks to all your help, the kids are building a rudder that is a modification of several ideas and suggestions. We'll see how it works -- they only have about $25 invested in it because, fortunately, many folks are willing to give "stuff" to scouts. I'll let you all know what happens when we get it wet!!! Pam

B

Brian Hart

I used aluminum

I had to replace the bottom half of my rudder about 2 years ago. It was wood wrapped with fiberglass and it dryrotted. Anyway, we took the measurements and had my dad's company make one out of aluminum. It's a little heavy, and a pain to raise, but I don't mind since Mobile Bay is pretty shallow and it's not uncommon for me to drag it through the sand. Probably not the best fix, due to the price. I understand it would cost around $600 to have a shop machine this for you, but luckily I had a hook up and all it cost me was a case of beer. One other bonus, other sailers love to gawk at my rudder (especially when I pass them by!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.