Need A Place For The Winch Handles

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Entered my first official race yesterday and part way through realized that I do not have a convenient location for the winch handles. I have seen the plastic/rubber pouches but cannot find a spot that will not interfere with my usual sailing.... cruising. I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem, and this forum has a wealth of experienced 310 owners. So, where do I keep the winch handles when they are not used in a winch?

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I have a holder attached to the binnacle, probably by Edson or someone similar. It was there when I purchased the boat. I think you can search West Marine for "wench holder" or something similar and find a few.

Curt Sawyer
"Jacqueline"
2001 C310 #48

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Look up Zarcor.com. I have a pair of holders they make that snap to 1" tubing and I have them behind the cockpit table on each side.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
The Zarcor holders look good, thanks for the tip.

Also, the companionway doors are on sale again... a lot of $$$ but a great addition

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Two Things, How did you do in the race? and what was your PHRF also I use the one line bag I have on the starboard side. I modified the port side to have straps hold the line.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
I tried using the line bag, but when it was time to tack it wasn't convenient.
The race... perfect 12-15K winds. Our club has started a new series for cruisers that want to race their boats, they are calling us 'Cracers'. So far only 3 have signed up, but it will catch on. A couple of 35 C&Cs spanked me pretty good, haven't seen the PHRF corrected results. I posted my PHRF at 183, everything standard with a 2 blade fixed prop (and dodger). If someone can qualify a higher PHRF, I'm listening!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
186/186

The Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association give me a 186 for spin and no-spin. That being said under 15 knots of wind and I am usually getting spanked by some guy with a piece of crap and a 246 rating. I console myself that my boat is comfortable and he doesn't have anything to sit or sleep on it that thing.

Dec 16, 2011
I looked at the Zarcor site and that seems to be what I have. For some of their products (like the wench handle holder) you do need to know the size of the binnacle piping. I just ordered 2 more of the wench handle types and one of the mounts for my iPhone. Just a note on the iPhone mount...I had my iPhone sitting in one of the cup holders behind the compass and it really, really threw off the compass. So I plan to mount my iPhone at the top, so it is as far away from the compass as possible.

Mar 6, 2009
Catalina 310 Dunedin, Fl
Dave J, I attached a winch handle holder to the steering pedestal and it seems to do the trick for us. Attached are a couple of pictures.
Hope this helps you.

004.jpg

002.jpg

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
I have a holster similar to that on my mast, though my main winch handle, I'm lucky enough to have cutouts in the cockpit under each one. I didn't realize how convenient the holster was on the mast though until I used it. I remember thinking when I got the boat "pft, I'll just take that off, won't need that I don't think." Yeah, so much for that.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
I looked at the Zarcor site and that seems to be what I have. For some of their products (like the wench handle holder) you do need to know the size of the binnacle piping. I just ordered 2 more of the wench handle types and one of the mounts for my iPhone. Just a note on the iPhone mount...I had my iPhone sitting in one of the cup holders behind the compass and it really, really threw off the compass. So I plan to mount my iPhone at the top, so it is as far away from the compass as possible.
Just installed my Zarcor wench holders and they work really well. Like
the idea they have "slots" so "open" look. Easy mount on 1" piping.
Easy to slip handles in and out. Tried line bags but bit of pain in
and out. Handles very close to genny wenches so easy to get to.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
mfarinas, I think you have a good idea with the placement of the holders. I ordered the Zarcor holders (2 x $29 + $30 shipping) about 10 days ago.... haven't seen them yet. Asked for a tracking # but no reply?? I'm in Canada, maybe they are stuck at the border. Racing tonight so I hope they come in!

Dec 16, 2011
I ordered 2 more of the holders, plus their iPhone mount all from Zarcor and had them via USPS in 6 days...no issues. Maybe is it a cross-country shipping issue?