Need a outboard motor for my Cat 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

I bought my Cat 22 today .....just got her home but she needs a motor but I have no idea how big of a motor I need for her????? I plan to sail the Hudson river and maybe some bay sailing in Cape Cod. I'm worried about currents,tides,wind,all working against me what should I buy for ponys?? Please help me.....Thanks Chris

P

Peter

Maybe a 150?

No seriously, your 22 probably requires about 5-10HP. Yanmar (the diesel engine people) recommend 1HP for every 500lbs displacement. Any more than that is just burning more fuel than you need to, and adding more weight to the transom. My 27 is slightly overpowered with a 15 (at 7500+lbs with all the crap I have aboard).

M

Michael

8 works for me

I have an 8 hp 2 stroke Johnson on mine and it has plenty of power to get through heavy winds, waves, etc. Reliable too (knock on wood!)

J

John

Honda 5 HP

Chris , I sailed for years on the Hudson with a Gloucester 22 and had a Honda 5 HP. I never had a problem and we would take off from Westchester County down to the NYC a few times a year. John Lady K

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 Association

With yoru new to you boat, you should get very familiar with the C22 Association www.catalina22.org

J

John

5 Hp

I had a C22 with a 9.9 Merc and it looked a little big hanging there in the back of the boat .Then i uaed a 3 hp motor with a small gas tank on top it moved the boat ok , but i hated filling the tank.then i tryed a 4Hp 4 stroke motor with 2 gal gas tank and it worked good .I think a 5 or 7 would be good to If there is wind I sail, if there is no wind ,The 3hp motor will push the boat. John

Status
Not open for further replies.