Need a new tachometer

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Hello All,

Lightning strike!!! Lots of damage...especially electrical. Working through all of it. But one of the things we identified today was that the tachometer is no longer working. We were able to confirm that we were getting the voltage from the alternator to the tachometer and watched the voltage change as we changed the RPM. But the needle is not moving (sits around 3500 when key is on...sits off scale high when power is removed) and the engine hours meter is not working either.

So went to Catalina Direct and they have none in stock. So does anyone know of another source for one of these tachometers?

Also need new engine water temp gauge and new warning horn...but CD has those in stock.

2002 (Hull# 178) with a Universal M25XPB engine.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
If the needle moves from one to the other side, i winder if it has an open ground wire?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Try contacting parts at the factory, I used to be able to get a lot from them before they moved the factory to Florida but they may have liquidated their NOS stuff.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
When you order your tach, be sure to order an optical rpm reader to calibrate your new tach. CD offered it as a companion to the new tach for about $25. Well worth it.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
When you order your tach, be sure to order an optical rpm reader to calibrate your new tach. CD offered it as a companion to the new tach for about $25. Well worth it.
Good idea. When we bought our 310, it seemed either like the tach was reading high or our prop pitch was way off. I already had an optical tach for work (airplanes) and was able to determine that the boat tach needed adjustment and set it correctly.
I did have to put some bright, reflective paint on the crank pullet to get it to read. If you can clean it off enough you may be able to use white tape.