Need a new furler for B310

Jul 13, 2010
Beneteau First 310 St. Clair Shores
I would appreciate a recommendation for a new furling system for a 1992 B310. The existing unit has been a bowl of trouble (jamming). Thanks.
Ray
248-504-7088

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure which system you have. Sounds like your frustration with the system has you considering a replacement.

I am partial to the Harkin MkIV furlers. I bought the Unit 1. Here is a link to help you understand the units.
Several channels available to purchase including right here on SBO.

The open design, Delrin bearings, proven low friction construction, ease of cleaning are all positives in my decision to install on my 35ft boat.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Rigger friend says while Schaefer used to be preferred Harken is now his best seller. Bearings in upper and lower drums are the prime failure point and the Harken are easier to keep flushed and working. My Schaefer is 20 years old and I've had to replace both drums. Jamming usually has a cause and can be cured, either bearings or halyard tension.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Not sure which system you have. Sounds like your frustration with the system has you considering a replacement.

I am partial to the Harkin MkIV furlers. I bought the Unit 1. Here is a link to help you understand the units.
Several channels available to purchase including right here on SBO.

The open design, Delrin bearings, proven low friction construction, ease of cleaning are all positives in my decision to install on my 35ft boat.
"Delrin bearings" are cheap and get flats on them under pressure causing jams . Torlon Bearings are much better and made by Harkin
Delrin® ball bearings are made of a composite material well-suited for low- to moderate-load applications. For high-load applications use Torlon® ball ...
I have 20 year Schaefer and changed out all my bearings to torlon main and genoa and lewmar traveller no issues whatso ever and much cheaper

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You are correct about the bearings.
Harken in the MarkIV Unit 1 use both Delrin and Torlon bearings...
DescriptionQuantityPart#
Hub Assembly17411.10BASE
Ball Plugs5H-35144A
Torlon® Ball Bearing24MP-129
Delrin® Ball Bearing96MP-118
IGUS® Crosspin Bushing2H-36636A