Need a Marina in Trinidad

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wim van den Toorn

Having had my Hunter 430 for 5 yrs. in the BVI, I now plan to bring her to Trinidad for two or three years. I will only be able to sail the boat for six or seven weeks per year and am looking for a Marina with dry storage facilities. Does anyone have any personal experience with a marina there? I would like some dvice. Wim

G

George Capra

Trinadad storage and Marina

The last time I was in Trinadad I had some great work done in Chaguaramas Bay at a yard called "Power Boats. They work on all sorts of boats and use real Trinidad bottom paint, but in the early 90's they didn't have a marina, just pull out and yard work. If there number is the same you can contact them at 809-634-4303. (P.O. box 3163, Carenage Port of Spain Trinidad, W.I. We spent some time at the "Trinadad and Tobago Yacht Club" just outside Port of Spain. They are on the main drag and it is easy to get transpot into the city. Try them at 809-637-4260. (Trinidad Yacht Club, Bayshore Port of spain, Trinidad, W.I. Other boats I knew stayed at the "Trinadad and Tobago Yachting Assoc. 809-634-4376 . ( P.O. Box 3140 Carenage Port of Spain, Trinidad, W.I. Have fun We found Trinidad a wonderful place.

W

Winni

Storage Information for Trinidad

Wim, See http://www.boatersenterprise.com/ for all information from customs to boat yards in Trinidad, with phone numbers and in some instances, cost. The area code has changed from 809 to 868. This should help.

B

Brian Pickton

Yards in Trinidad

Dear Wim, We just spent 5 months in Trinidad and looked at all of the yards. The only yard with a marina attached to it per se is Crews Inn. The Marina is a first class facility and charges accordingly. That doesn't mean it has the best yard however. Our opinion after looking at all of the yards and the consensus opinion of the boaters we talked to was that the best yard to have work done is "Power Boats". They also have a dry storage facility as do the other 5 yards we considered. If we were doing what you are doing I would store the boat at Power Boats but when I was on board I would anchor out or take a mooring at Trinidad Tobago Sailing Association (TTSA formaly TTYA). It definitely had the most cruiser friendly atmosphere and a good race schedule you could get involved in. If you get to TTSA make sure you say Hi to "Lady Charlie" the septagenerian sailor who knows everything that is happening in TT. You'll find her at the bar at TTSA having coffee every morning. Send her our greetings. Good Luck Brian and Alexis aboard The Legend in Rodney Bay St.Lucia

Status
Not open for further replies.