Need 393 Feedback

• Thread starter Wentsailing@aol.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wentsailing@aol.com

We are considering trading out of a Catalina to a B393. Knowing a lot aren't sailed yet, can anyone give us feedback on pros

L

Larry Watkins

Catalina v. Beneteau

Went; I had a C-22, moved up to a C-30, then up to a Beneteau OC400. The Beneteau is a sweet sailer, looks great, has a large interior (two stateroom version) and gets a lot of compliments. However, I believe Beneteau enjoys a reputation that they don't necessarily deserve. For instance, even though the boat was built in the US, there is plenty of evidence of shoddy construction. The wiring behind the DC panel looks great, but in other places it looks like it was installed by a stoned chimp. Corrosion protection is minimal and there are many system weaknessess that should have been addressed in the design process (the damned pan liner, for one, the freshwater system, for another, the fuel system for another, the freezer/reefer, etc.) In addition, all the added electronics; radar/plotter, inverter, larger alternator, smart charger, batteries, were very shoddily installed by the dealer, Southwestern Yachts in San Diego, CA, and then responsibility disavowed when I bought the boat through their brokerage. I've owned the boat for four years and am still chasing down electrical gremlims that have defied two electricians and numerous calls to suppliers, circuit boards sent to manufactureres, etc. Parts for the boat are frequently not available in the US and must be ordered from France. If I had it to do over again, I don't think I'd buy a Beneteau. In addition, the taxes and insurance are not cheap, either, and the boatyard bills are double what they were for my C-30.

C

Charlie Gruetzner

Beneteau

I bought a new Beneteau 361 the Spring of 2000 and have been thrilled with the boat. The only problem I have had was the float switch on the freshwater pump got stuck and Beneteau shipped me a new pump that day. I looked at both Beneteau and Catalina when I made my decision and found the Beneteau to be a much better built. I think the joinery etc is much better. Good luck with your decision Charlie Gruetzner S/V Angels'Grace

G

Gary

Recent review

Practical Sailor had a recent and very positve review of the new B 393. You should read it. I am the proud owner of a 361, and wrote a response in this forum on that subject. Overall I would say that Beneteau and Catalina are in the same general class as to value and quality. Of course thee are differences, big ones, in design concept. You need to compare boats based on your needs and preferences--and taste. You really can't go wrong between these 2 builders. I can't comment on L Watkins criticisms re a boat he bought used that apparently has a problem with dealer installed electronics, but I have found the quality of workmanship in my boat pretty high, and the quality of the hardware etc supplied with the boat to be fine, US made equipment. I believe in earlier years Beneteau had used European suppliers for lots of hardware, but that is not the csae on my 361. Good luck in your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.