Nearly clueless about shellfishing while cruising the PNW

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
My wife and I were considering getting a shellfishing license for our cruising this summer. We have been out crabbing with a former neighbor (who was very successful at it) several times, and we are certainly going to try some crabbing on our own. But, the other shellfish that we are particularly interested in is mussels, and we know nothing at all about gathering them. I came across an article last summer, where someone had gone out in search of their own mussels, and loved the experience.

Is this something that any of you enjoy doing while spending time cruising around in our area? Can you help me out with info on where to find mussels, and maybe where to avoid them? I saw a DFW sign last summer while in the south sound which listed limits for clams, oysters, and mussels... but at that time, I did not see any mussels in the immediate vicinity.

We are transplants to the region, and have not spent time anywhere fishing, crabbing, etc... Thanks, in advance!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Dave. Welcome to paradise. Been cruising PNW waters for years. Do not have a fishing license, nor a shellfish license and no plan to obtain one. Waste of money, if you ask me. Ditto a state park pass. Some people like them, but not here. Mussels, clams, oysters, crab, etc., vary by area, so it’s just a matter of searching them out. Best time to look for them is at low water, or drop a pot overboard with some bait and see what happens.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Do not have a fishing license, nor a shellfish license and no plan to obtain one. Waste of money, if you ask me.
Oh... My....
Do you enjoy this freedom when traveling north?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Who would issue a citation to this cute guy.

Terry.JPG

They'd probably take one look and tell him "Don't do that" and send him on his way...
He'd be eating the catch and say thank you officer.

I heard that @LeslieTroyer was finding oysters in a certain bay that Terry had enjoyed. Luckily he was off the water when the local gendarmes arrived in their power boat buzzed the bay and left.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Be sure and check for Red Tide warnings where you plan on taking shell fish, learn time and sex limits. Like Terry I get my seafood from QFC

Saxitoxin From Red Tides is very very bad for your health

Dec 25, 2000
And if you see a sign ashore that says, “No Fishing”, consider that for your information. Those posts were placed so as to protect for local use only. Since I don’t fish, no worries.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Thanks for the replies! I'll consider just planning for seafood as a part of our grocery provisioning. But, I've been spoiled for life by crab that's absolutely fresh out of the water!

I'm actually more than spoiled... we used to live between two brothers; we'd go out crabbing, and on the way back we'd drop one brother off at our subdivision then continue on to take the boat back to its boathouse in Olympia. By the time we got back to our house, we would have our limit cleaned, cooked, and waiting for us in ziplock bags.

Dec 25, 2000
The best part of the crab by far is the butter. Cook the crab whole, rest it on its backside when removing it from the pot, lift the body from the back and Inside is the butter and juices from the cook. Yummy.