Navonics App, AIS & WiFi GPS

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I searched and found YakBitz. There are several models, but I don't see NMEA 2000. They have USB only, 1,2,and 3 port one way NMEA 0183, and 3 port bidirectional NMEA 0183. If the is NMEA 2000, I have not found it.

I will be coastal sailing the Florida Gulf Coast out of the Crystal River area from St. Petersburg to Panama Beach. I'm working on a Watkins 25 for the task.

So I think that a VHF with built in AIS receiver and GPS with a wifi bridge is my best option. Now my choice is NMEA 0183 or 2000...either the Standard Horizon GX 2200 or the Simrad RS35. I'll have to ponder.
Is it possible to output the AIS to receive on the iPad or chart plotter via the network

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Is it possible to output the AIS to receive on the iPad or chart plotter via the network
I have the GX-2200 (NMEA 0183), a single-channel Yakbitz gateway. I've tested with both Navionics 'Boating' and iSailor on an iPad. I can confirm that the system works, and it's sure nice to see AIS targets on the iPad instead of the little screen on the VHF. If I recall correctly, I tried UDP first on the Yakbitz and didn't get it to work, but TCP worked on the first try.

I've found the connection to be just slightly flaky - every once in awhile, all AIS targets disappear, and the Navionics app seemed to lose our own location once or twice. But I suspect that has to do with 1) the ancient iPad I was running iSailor on; and 2) The brand new AIS integration into the Navionics app. I configured the VHF to transmit GPS info via NMEA; our iPads have internal GPS, so I think I'll disable GPS on the NMEA channel (and just transmit AIS info). I'm optimistic that between that and the upcoming updates to the Navionics AIS feature, the system will be even better by next year. Maybe eventually I'll be able to swing that Vesper transceiver. But this year's budget will likely be eaten up by the trailer brake system that finally bit the dust for real...