Mystery with my genset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2012
Down Easter Downeast 45 Titusville
My three cylinder 120 volt diesel genset suddenly decided to only run on tick-over, and obviously won’t give any current through the generator. I’ve had the injectors tested and changed the fuel filter, then bled it carefully—still it won’t accelerate to normal running. It accelerates immediately it starts up, then after about ten seconds drops down to tick-over. Any ideas please?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
What manufacturer? Have you called them?

Just a guess, maybe wrong, but it sounds like the governor has a problem.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
My three cylinder 120 volt diesel genset suddenly decided to only run on tick-over, and obviously won’t give any current through the generator. I’ve had the injectors tested and changed the fuel filter, then bled it carefully—still it won’t accelerate to normal running. It accelerates immediately it starts up, then after about ten seconds drops down to tick-over. Any ideas please?
Please ...Post the type engine model year etc. that would be very helpful....

Jul 15, 2012
It's a Kubota, 2002. three cylinders with a Newage 6.5 kw generator. It does sound like some sort of governor type problem. Is that something I can examine myself? there's no mention of any governor in the owners manual. I've not had time to call the dealer because I'm not at the boat for another week. I just though someone might have an idea which I could look into when I get back.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Not knowing your mechanical ability, there isnt any way to know if you can fix it yourself. The governor isnt mentioned in the owners manual because its not a maintenance item.

You should have a manual, or at least an exploded parts diagram of the governor mechanism to guide you. But before I tore into it I would look around by the throttle lever for some kind of electrical solenoid used to control throttle. Youll see a throttle lever and two speed set/lock screws. One screw is high speed set, other is idle/low speed set. Most diesel generator engines have both screws tightened up against the lever so it will only run at high speed, IE;the lever wont budge. However, yours may use a solenoid to draw the lever over to high speed. Lacking that, your problem is likely internal

I would guess a diesel mechanic would want some big bucks to deal with the injection pump, so if you can figure it out you can probably save a substantial amount of money. My guess would be something came off the lever control arm, possibly a broken spring or something, possibly why it initially revs up then falls back to low speed.

Every time ive taken one apart I have been amazed how simple they are. Youll likely find the same thing. Its not rocket science. When you re-set governor high speed, use a meter with AC cycles, and set as close to 60 as possible, checking no load, and fully loaded.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Given that the engine accelerates to normal speed and then drops to idle after 10 seconds, my take is that there is nothing internal wrong with the engine. If there was a fuel system issue of any kind, either the engine would not start or it would not accelerate after starting.

I would look at the governor and any electrical controls that may affect the throttle. Look at the engine while someone else starts it. Watch the external throttle levers that are operated by the governor to see how they move- if at all.

If the external throttle levers can be moved by hand, see if the engine will increase in speed if moved. Is there some electrical control that moves the throttle to an idle after 10 seconds if some parameter is not met? Are all the circuit breakers in the on position on the generator? Any loose wires? In short, do a comprehensive visual inspection of the genset.

And by all means, call your dealer or factory service rep to describe the problem and ask for advice. They should be the experts on their product and they are the most likely to have seen the problem previously and could tell you where the fault lies.

There are hardly any really brand new problems that nobody has seen before......

Jul 15, 2012
Thanks Anchorclanker and rich. I’m very experienced with car engines, both American and British and have a complete set of tools and instruments—but very little experience with diesels, especially injectors and the genny’ side of things. As you say though, it’s not rocket science, and even if it were I actually know a couple of rocket scientists, after-all my boat is within sight of the launch gantries at Cape Canaveral.
There are indeed two leavers on the side of the injector pump. One is the cut-out stop lever, which we don’t use because there is a two stage solenoid, which now works fine.
The other is the run lever with adjustment screws which are wired up, and I’ve never needed to touch it. It does not move when the motor starts and makes no difference when you move it on tick-over. So it sounds like the speed is controlled internally somehow.
I will contact the local dealer when I get to the boat at the end of this week, when I’m sure they will be able to tell me pretty much what’s wrong. I will let you all know, to further all our knowledge, and thanks again.
ROGER.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think Rich has it.. There probably is some kind of safety or protective system that is sensing (maybe falsely, but don't assume that) something wrong and forcing the governor and so the engine speed back to idle.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
It's a Kubota, 2002. three cylinders with a Newage 6.5 kw generator. It does sound like some sort of governor type problem. Is that something I can examine myself? there's no mention of any governor in the owners manual. I've not had time to call the dealer because I'm not at the boat for another week. I just though someone might have an idea which I could look into when I get back.
Hmmm?....Sounds like we have the same Generator. But mine as different issuies. It likes to run for 20 minutes then it shuts down. Well lately it been about 12 minutes in this texas heat. Wait about 5-10 minutes then fires right back up and may run two hours or alnight. One never knows? It has been a mystery for the last few years. Good luck on getting any help from panda. There guy got up set with me when told them I solve the constant eating of alt belts. I added a fresh air blower to front of case and a hot air discharge hose out the other end. That problem solve. Its was like he got all insulted or something.
I have replaced all sorts of sensors checked wiring for shorts, flushed,back flushed, but to no avail. It seems to think it is over heating but it not.
Okay sorry back to your problem...These generators were built back when someone had the bright idea to stop the surging of engine speed when taking on an extra load say when theairconditioner kicks in etc. So they fixed run speed rpms at a constain certain level. The gen will only produce electricty when at this preprogramed rpm. So I believe the governor or engine speed cable has slipped. Lets hope this is all. If thats all it is then this should be good news.
Find the engine throttle cable on engine. See if you can see if has slipped. Next before starting gen make sure you know were the kill switch is on the engine. Once you know where everything is then start motor. see if you can Manually throttle up engine to it proper rpms. Also have someone monitering the a/c load at the electrical a/c load panel. If the engine will maintain proper rpms while you hold it there for a short while and produce 120v a/c. Then thats all you should have to fix. Anything else well your on your on....Warning please be safe while doing this not only do you have moving parts but you have electrical things happening too. So becareful were you to put your body parts.

Jul 15, 2012
Hi everyone,
Well, I’m half way to solving the problem, and it’s nothing to do with the engine. After trying everything everyone suggested, but to no avail, and looking at the engine lumbering away, it suddenly struck me that it might somehow be under a heavy load, like trying to start a car in top gear. So I disconnected the multi-prong plug inside the control box and whizzo! the motor immediately started to run at full revs!
I telephoned the nearest Newage generator dealer who said the stator had probably burned out, causing a heavy load on the engine, preventing it from attaining full revs.
I still hope it might be a problem in the control box on top of the generator, which would save me having to lift the whole heavy genset to remove the back part. I will take the control box in and have it all tested.
But at least I found out the actual motor is okay.
If anyone has anything to add I would be pleased to hear it, otherwise thanks for all your input, I hope we all learned a little bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.