Mystery stainless grappling hook? Any clues from this picture?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Resembles a Cunningham hook. Unsure the purpose of the orange retrieval lanyard, though.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It looks like something that one would unload cargo with. A bridle below (of chain?) and the crane cable above with an eye splice. Pull the release when down and it is free of the cable.

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
It looks like something that one would unload cargo with. A bridle below (of chain?) and the crane cable above with an eye splice. Pull the release when down and it is free of the cable.
That’s what I was thinking, it would be pretty open for a clevis hook though. ‍♂

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It could also be used to toss at a mooring buoy to snag it, like they snag trap buoys.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i guess that mike just won the prize. most logical reason it's on your boat. spring the boat off the dock with the engine, release the spring line, off you go.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I can also be used to help scale castle walls during a siege. If they start pouring boiling oil over the walls, you can quickly unhook the line and run.

• Ha

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
North of the Puget Sound folks tend to use wooden "Bull Rails" to secure your boat at the dock. Coming up to the dock you can not just throw a loop over a cleat you need something to grab the rail.
1612050477787.png

Here is one solution. The "Claw Carabiner Grappling Hook".

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
North of the Puget Sound folks tend to use wooden "Bull Rails" to secure your boat at the dock. Coming up to the dock you can not just throw a loop over a cleat you need something to grab the rail.
View attachment 189774

Here is one solution. The "Claw Carabiner Grappling Hook".
As Miracle Max said: "Good luck storming the castle!"
:)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Some of these docks are unmanned. The Bull Rail is there. If you want to tie up and prefer using a spring line technique to safely dock, the grappling hook can make it happen. On the docks with a cleat, I can toss a loop over the cleat and snug the boat up to the dock. No jumping off the boat or trying to stop the boat by holding it off. A great safe and secure method to dock in all sorts of conditions.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Looks like a gadget I put together to unload/load 20-plus tote bags to a third floor condo at the Bethany Beach place I rented every year.. I could lower the bag till it was on the ground, and the hook would come off the tote handles so I could haul it back up. Saved many a trip up and down the steps over the years. And they got steeper every year!