Mystery Mast Line

Jun 24, 2019
Oday Daysailer ii Monroe, MI
Hey all, so I set up my mast for the first time yesterday on my DS II. Pretty cool seeing it all set up. I'm still really new to sailing, so I don't know what every line does. That was the purpose of setting it up yesterday, to see if I could correctly hook everything up. Got most of it, but one line beat me. It's on the port side of the mast, all the way up next to the main halyard. Looks like it's 3/8, and has a loop in it at the bottom and then a metal clip at the end of the loop. I looked all over and for the life of me I have no idea where it goes or what it does. Any ideas?

Jun 24, 2019
I should mention that the line itself is stationary, meaning it's not on a pulley so it just kind of hangs there at the bottom of the mast.

Would a Spinnaker halyard be on a pulley system?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I should mention that the line itself is stationary, meaning it's not on a pulley so it just kind of hangs there at the bottom of the mast.

Would a Spinnaker halyard be on a pulley system?
yes. my bet is still a topping lift

Jun 24, 2019
Ok, so that holds the boom up when I don't have the sails up? That's how I was using it, but I felt like that wouldn't be right for some reason. Thanks guys, that was the one line I couldn't figure out.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Topping lift can also be used when the winds are light and you don't want to tension the leach too much.