Mystery Diesel Fuel Odor

Jul 9, 2024
Beneteau First 285 Navesink
Just purchased a 1990 Beneteau First 285 with the original Volvo Penta model 2002. There is a strong diesel fuel odor that accumulates down below, it is strongest in the head (which has access to the fuel tank), second strongest in the aft cabin, and not very strong in the engine compartment. The odor is not diesel exhaust but diesel fuel and occurs regardless of whether the engine has recently been run. There are no apparent leaks or fuel in bilge. Connections appear secure going into and out of fuel tank (pictured). Any ideas?

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Look for a previous spill under the inlet or discharge fitting on the tank. And also put some paper towels down under them to catch any new ones. Those fittings may LOOK secure, but that doesn't guarantee they are. Feel around them with paper towels.

--Peggie

• Helpful

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
There are no apparent leaks or fuel in bilge.
Exactly. The leak is not apparent. :)

I had an aluminum fuel tank that had become porous underneath due to constant contact with bilge seawater. A new tank was called for. It was such a good feeling the get that brand new tank in there!

If desperate, figure out how to seal things up and gently pressurize the tank with an air pump, then go around with some soapy water to try to find the leak. You can also do a leak-down test - pressurize it and leave it, and see if it holds the pressure.

Jul 9, 2024
Look for a previous spill under the inlet or discharge fitting on the tank. And also put some paper towels down under them to catch any new ones. Those fittings may LOOK secure, but that doesn't guarantee they are. Feel around them with paper towels.

--Peggie
Thanks for the idea, I’ll look into a previous spill and use paper towels to check for new ones.

Jul 9, 2024
Exactly. The leak is not apparent. :)

I had an aluminum fuel tank that had become porous underneath due to constant contact with bilge seawater. A new tank was called for. It was such a good feeling the get that brand new tank in there!

If desperate, figure out how to seal things up and gently pressurize the tank with an air pump, then go around with some soapy water to try to find the leak. You can also do a leak-down test - pressurize it and leave it, and see if it holds the pressure.
I ordered some UV fuel due to add to the tank and hopefully spot any leaks with a black light. This might be my best bet, although you’re right, a new tank may be needed.

• Helpful

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I ordered some UV fuel due to add to the tank and hopefully spot any leaks with a black light. This might be my best bet, although you’re right, a new tank may be needed.
Oh, that's a great idea! Never thought of the UV dye.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I ordered some UV fuel due to add to the tank and hopefully spot any leaks with a black light.
The UV dye gets my vote to solve this problem.

One added thought is to tightly wrap every exposed fuel joint with paper towel and hold in place with duct tape or equivalent. Use the boat a few times and then remove the paper towel and check for smell and/or leakage.

1720565610683.png

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Check your hoses for cracks. Often a leak will flow along the hose and drip into an area some distance away. If your fuel hoses are original they are 34 years old and it is recommended to replace them every ten years. Fuel hoses get brittle and crack when aged.

Jul 9, 2024
Update…

No fuel leaks seen with the UV dye, neither around the fuel tank or engine.

After leaving the hatches open for a week in hot and windy conditions the fuel smell is almost entirely gone.

Discovered an open nozzle cap on the diesel jerry can stowed in the lazarette. My theory is that at the start of July when the previous owner transported the boat 90mi to us some fuel spilled out of the can and found its way to someplace deep and hidden. Over a couple weeks it evaporated while creating a stink.

That’s my hope at least. Big thank you to everyone who commented and helped out!!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the fuel smell is almost entirely gone.
Good for you.

Diesel smells have a long half life. Getting a forty-six year old boat with previous owners being less careful, one inherits the smells of past lives. On inspection I found a primordial oily swamp in the 4 ft deep keel bilge. Mistakes in oil changes and fuel leaks plus only God knows what else had found its way to this reservoir of fluids.

Pumping out, cleaning, airing out, and bottles of Pure Ayre
1721146979772.jpeg
have saved our noses. We all breath more easily on the boat.