moving winches for single handed sailing

• Thread starter Stephen M. Breitstone
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen M. Breitstone

I frequently single hand my boat. The winches for the genoa are located on the cabin top in front of the cockpit. The new 411 model has relocated the winches aft near the helm station for easier single handing. Has anyone had any experience with modifying a 400 to relocated the winches aft? I am thinking of building a block to mount the winches there along the outside of the cockpit. How do you run the genoa sheet etc?

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Have a beer and think and think about it

Feb.15,2001 Dear Steve, I haven't done what you want on a 400 but I have a pretty good idea of how I would go about it. Some of the following comments might need modification by you because I don't have an actual photo of your boat or a 400 handy to take a look at, but hopefully you will get the gist. Luckily the 400 has wider side decks than the 411 so installing hardware is a bit easier, especially in the aft corners. First I would leave the existing winches where they are to help retain the boats appearance and future resale value. I'd make sure that I bought a good sized set of two speed self tailing winches for the new application. I like Lewmar's for this to stay in keeping with existing boat equipment. Before drilling a singe hole dry fit everything to check sheet lead angles, sapce for hardware and backing plates etc. I would run the genoa sheet leads along the deck (over the house is no longer viable) and would add a track for the sheet lead block to run on in this location, appropriately angled out board at the forward end. The sheet would lead to a turning block that would be set up to angle the sheet at the proper height to the winch at it's new location. Usually this is a double set of turning blocks in order that it can also handle the spinnaker sheet leads. The turning blocks will likely have to be set up on a block to get them to the right height. An alternative to teak would be to have these mounting blocks fabricated in stainless steel. if I did go with wood for the mounting blocks and I was feeling cocky I might just fibreglass them in place after bolting them in and then give the fibreglass a gelcoat finish for a really professional integrated look. I would provide the blocks with stout backing plates at least 50 % larger in area then the base of the block they are supporting in order to spread the load. The same goes for the winches. I would try to mount the winches as low to the deck as possible eliminating mounting blocks if I could to keep the leverage exerted on the backing plate to a minimum. Al I need for height is for the winch handle to clear the cockpit combing. I would locate and mount appropriately sized cleats adjacent to the winches, also with stout backing plates. If you use metal backing plates they need not be glassed in, but if I was using marine ply (about 3/4 inch to 1" thick) I would prepare it with coatings of GitRot or penetrating epoxy and then glass them in place, making sure that plenty of epoxy was applied to the mounting holes. Lastly I would reinstall the headliner that I removed to install the new genoa sheet track, after making sure the installation didn't leak, sit back, and have a beer. Obviously this isn't a job that gets knocked off over a weekend. Makes me tired just thinking about it. In the alternative I might just turn on the auto pilot, go forward and trim the sheet. Good luck with the project. Fair winds, Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net, aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

L

Larry Watkins

moving winches

Stephen. I have a '94 OC400 and like you, I considered moving the winches, but only briefly. After a season of owning the boat, and sailing it single-handed most of the time, I became used to the winch placement, and actually found it easier to tack the boat, since I didn't have to move around the built-in table in the cockpit. Stay in front of the wheel. Get close-hauled, take the sheet out of the jaw, turn the wheel enough to tack, throw off the line, move across the cockpit, take up the slack in the other sheet, turn the wheel back to center, crank winch with handle. I like to sit on top of the leeward coaming in a bean bag chair and steer with one foot. If you really can't get used to the winch placement, I would recommend you buy a different boat, rather than try to move a winch. JMO. Good luck, Larry of Moondance

Status
Not open for further replies.