Moving My Hunter 356 to the Virgin Islands!

May 26, 2015
Hunter 356 Lake Grapevine, TX
Hi there! I am giving serious thought of moving my 2003 Hunter 356 from Grapevine, TX to St. John, VI. We are living here now at least part-time (Coral Bay) and maybe longer and I can't bear the thought of selling her to buy something unknown locally. Plus the crossing would be a bucket list item! In order to do so, I need to outfit the boat for a crossing and have all rigging inspected/replaced, engine inspected, electronics added, AIS, EPIRB, life raft, jack lines, etc..... All of that work would presumably be better done on the coast so I would either need to transport it to Galveston/Kemah area in Texas or Florida. I am looking for ideas/opinions/references for boat yards that can help me that are experienced with Hunter sailboats. Thanks in advance!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree with Don. Have you checked that the islands will "take" your boat, given Covid? I understand the BVIs are "opening up" with heavy restrictions, don't know if that's true for the USVI.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Having just come from the USVI (St. Croix), yes they are open and its not too hard to get your boat here. There are a bunch of people in the USVI in a holding pattern due to the closure of the BVI.

As noted most any yard can help with the provisioning. Items to ensure you have covered
- AIS class B (send & Receive)
- EPIRB - boat and personal
- full harnesses for all crew
-VHF - fixed and handheld
- AutoPilot working
- Radar
- Sails (Mainsail with at least 2 (3 preferred) reef points, reefable Jib or storm jib)
- Engine & Batteries in good shape
- Life Raft (offshore rated)
- etc. - I'm sure I've forgotten more than I've listed

Inspect rigging and all through hulls, make sure plugs are located at all through hulls, spares- you'll never have enough of everything.

If leaving from Texas are you following the ICW or heading direct? Are you planning on going as Owner/Captain or will you hire professional crew? Plan your route and have fun.

Captain Victor Hoisington
SV/French Temper
Islander 41 Freeport Ketch

May 26, 2015
Hunter 356 Lake Grapevine, TX
I agree with Don. Have you checked that the islands will "take" your boat, given Covid? I understand the BVIs are "opening up" with heavy restrictions, don't know if that's true for the USVI.

I am in the USVI now (St. John). Much easier than BVI on restrictions and yes I could bring it now if I was ready to.