Moving it to Florida(Sept 2022), looking for a couple of partners

Mar 6, 2020
macgregor 26M Racine
Would like to move our 26M to FL- West Coast- to use during Winter season and having some partners to use when we are not would be good for the boat. If you are able and interested please let us know. On the hard on slip is ok- Open to looking at marinas locations.... Ft Myers area is good.... Thank you

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is the second posting where you asked for a partner. That sounds a lot like an ad. Ads are not allowed in the forums but you can post in the classifieds.

Mar 6, 2020
macgregor 26M Racine
This is the second posting where you asked for a partner. That sounds a lot like an ad. Ads are not allowed in the forums but you can post in the classifieds.
sorry, no ad, just trying to get as many "eyes" on what we desire. Sorry and thanks!

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@juggler ,

Good morning! Trust me when I say that you don't ever want to "share" a boat with a "partner". It's a horrible idea. I've never done it, but everyone I know who has tried it always tells me that it ends in disaster. It's a bit like sharing a house with someone you don't know very well. They try and do stuff to the boat that you might not want. They might even blatantly lie about how skilled they are and destroy the vessel, and then disappear on you leaving you to pick up the pieces and figure things out for yourself. My honest advice: If you can't be there year round to maintain and look after the boat, then it's best not to have the boat at all. It'll save you a lot of anxiety and headache in the long run.

• Helpful
Mar 6, 2020
macgregor 26M Racine
@juggler ,

Good morning! Trust me when I say that you don't ever want to "share" a boat with a "partner". It's a horrible idea. I've never done it, but everyone I know who has tried it always tells me that it ends in disaster. It's a bit like sharing a house with someone you don't know very well. They try and do stuff to the boat that you might not want. They might even blatantly lie about how skilled they are and destroy the vessel, and then disappear on you leaving you to pick up the pieces and figure things out for yourself. My honest advice: If you can't be there year round to maintain and look after the boat, then it's best not to have the boat at all. It'll save you a lot of anxiety and headache in the long run.
Thanks so much for the advice. We have had partners in cabins(and airplanes) before with very set rules. We realize we will need to screen whoever very well. If we even decide to go that way at all. We can certainly afford to do this on our own but prefer to have the boat used. As we know things that sit unused, decay faster.....

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020
macgregor 26M Racine
How much do you desire a partner? In monetary terms?
Looking more for someone to share expenses with and help keep the boat in use while we are not there. Not looking to sell boat yet or even "sell" a share. In a slip would be best. Proof of skills we be required and more screening with be needed also. Perhaps a deal where the partner pays for the slip and we provide the vessel. We would need to speak by phone/video for anymore "monetary" info to be shared. Pix of boat can also be sent by text. Not sure how we pass on a phone # in this forum? If interested let us know. Thanks

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
@juggler ,

I had a boat partner, and it worked well (especially for me). My co-owner was a friend, who actuallly introduced me to sailing on his Catalina 30. He later sold his boat for the common reasons…not using it enough, 2 kids in college…

I was in the same boat (pun intended) and asked him if would consider being co-owners. He liked the idea and we formed our informal partnership (no legal documents).

We actually bought another boat together, and sold the first one…and shared the boat for 3 or 4 years. I always thought I got the better end of the deal, because I sailed the boat a lot, and my co-owner, not so much. But he paid for 50% of all expenses and upgrades. Now, Imdid most of the work, but enjoy tinkering with boats. In the winter, he would help with haulout and winterization, and in the spring he would help with bottom paint and whatever else we needed to splash the boat.

After a few years, and a little health scare, my partner wanted out of the deal. We had discussed this potential issue before we bought the boat, and it was a simple plan…if either partner wanted out, the remaining partner could either buy out the share of the boat (50% of the original purchase price - not including maintenance and upgrades) or he could decide to sell. Then the boat would be sold and the revenue split between the partners.

I chose to keep Tally Ho, and bought out my partner. We are still friends, and I still have Tally Ho.

So, I consider our partnership to be a success.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks for the positive notes
But I did know the guy (and our kids were dating)…

Turned out the boat partnership outlasted the kids relationship, but we are all still good friends.

My wife wasn’t too sure about a co-owner we didn’t know.

I hope you have some success.

Greg