Mounting the Raymarine ST1000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aldo

Dave....

Dave: Relative to the panel getting wet, I have naugahyde covers that cover all of the teak pieces to my boat, including 2 that cover the coaming compartments. These keep the rain and the sun off the panel while we aren't using the boat. The covers are getting a little old now, (about 12 years old), so I am getting closer to remaking them. I will probably remake them from an outdoor canvas next time. If you look at the photo, you can see 2 of the snaps where the cover snaps on. There is a lip on the top of the cover that goes toward the gunnel that is about an inch wide, that also helps keep the rain from going under the cover. Another thing that isn't too clear from the photo is that the panel is recessed about an inch back from the coaming. I did this with some plastic spacers that are about 3/4 an inch long. I recently shortened these from 1 inch, but plan on increasing them again, because of the length of the autopilot connector, and people sitting against the connector. If you meant water pouring onto the panel from the boat heeling that far over, my wife would never let me heel it that far. There is a rubber boot on the switch, and on the back side of the panel, there is plenty of silicone sealer covering many of the connections, especially those to the Raymarine connectors that are screw connections, and not solder connections. On your second question about Sailnet and the free remote, that's where mine came from, and mine was free. They may only make this offer in the winter, I don't know. I ordered mine in February of 2001. Someone at work offered me an ST1000 recently, that he wanted to sell, but he doesn't have the remote, so I didn't put too much effort into finding a buyer for him. I would really shop around carefully, because the remote is a good thing to have, and as I said previously, to buy one separately is around $140, and that would be tough to justify. Aldo

D

Dave

Aldo...

Thanks so much for all the great info! I've decided to use your design and build the control panel this winter. The only thing I'm going to do different is install Raymarine ST40 instruments (wind and depth) on the bulkhead at the front of the cockpit on the opposite side from the compass. I plan on networking with the Raymarine seatalk cabling so I can integrate my autopilot with the wind instrument. I called Sailnet yesterday and they said the free remote deal typically happens after the sailing season is over. It's a special offering that Raymarine sponsors, not Sailnet. Given that, I think I'll finish the season without it and watch closely throughout the winter for that deal to happen again. The folks at Sailnet also told me they could work with me a little on pricing if I buy the whole autopilot, instrument, cabling package in one purchase. If I can time it when the free remote is available, I'll be a happy camper. <grin> Thanks again, Dave 14447

A

Art

Leveling the tillerpilot

Thanks, that's useful. I was concerned about it popping off. I don't think the slant will bother the compass, as it is far less than a typical heeling angle. I have already epoxied the brass socket in place. If I have problems I'll just bracket up the tiller pin. I have seen those ads for the free remote. I read the posting re: sailnet's position and I'll bide my time. The total price, shipped, was $379; usually it's 399 with the free remote. I didn't realize they were $140! Ouch.

D

Dave

Raymarine ST1000 w/free remote....update!

I just talked to Sailnet on Saturday (3 days ago) to see if they were running this special. They said no, and that Raymarine typically sponsors this deal after the season. However, I just read a post on the CD mailing list that Sailnet is running the special again. Well, I looked at their website and sure enough they're selling the ST1000 with a remote for $429. Not a bad deal at all. Especially with free shipping. However, their webpage says that they're on order. I guess I'll be calling them again to see if I can get one. Dave, 14447

A

Aldo

My remote didn't arrive at the same time

Dave: You must be living right. You should order it, and hopefully you will get at least the autopilot this season. My remote and autopilot didn't arrive at the same time. If I remember correctly, the autopilot arrived several weeks ahead of the remote. That doesn't really matter, as long as you get the remote, and get it for free, in the end. This will slow down your panel construction a little, but if you need the template for the remote connector, and a photo of what it looks like,(it actually sends the wire out to the side of the connector), let me know and I will scan the template for you and show you a photo of the connector. Aldo

A

Art

Sailnet to the rescue!

I revisited Sailnet and they are selling me the remote for $50. Not bad considering their offered price is $159. They say it is in stock. Since I am singlehanding from Salem to Martha's Vineyard and back later this month (100 mi each way) I think it will come in handy! Although I'm about 30 bucks to the worse for not waiting, the extra month with the tillerpilot (installing, commissioning etc.) will have been well worth it. Thanks for the tip!

D

Dave

Aldo...

Aldo, I just ordered the ST1000. I'll worry about the instruments later this year. I didn't want to pass up on the free(almost) remote. I would really appreciate your help with the panel design. Any templates and photos you could send would be a big help. You can email me at dave_hoppe@hotmail.com. Thanks a bunch, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.