Mounting the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

So that I don't reinvent the wheel and end up wishing that I had done something different, any ideas where the best place is to mount the Marine Radio inside the cabin?? I know there are not a lot choices but I would be interested in any thoughts before I go drilling holes. Thanks

J

Jay Beery

Radio location

Steve, I just bought an old C22 that has the radio ( a very old one due for replacement ) on the port side, hung from above, in the recess for cups and junk in general above the galley table. This makes it halfway between the battery and the outlet up the mast for the antenna. I have been toying with the idea of installing an inverted "J" made of stainless tubing to pass all the wireing frome inside the cabin to the mast. All my deck connectors are rotten or missing for the mast light, so what the heck. I saw this idea in an old issue of cruising world magazine and sounded like my solution to a lot of expensive connectors. For what it's worth. Good luck!

R

R. Palaia

Think of how it will be used

I used to have a boat similar in size to yours, and my VHF was located on the bulkhead inside the cabin right next to the companionway opening. This way the radio could be used while sitting in the cabin, or the mike cord can be stretched out and used while in the cockpit (someone else is at the tiller). This was always convenient. Roc

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Don't forget weather

Locating the radio near the companionway might be convenient but it also may allow water to damage the radio. If you sail in the rain or there's a potential for a leak, you could be in a world of hurt. Just make sure wherever you locate it, it's relatively dry. LaDonna

R

rick

radio location

port side just above the table-like LaDonna says-dry & out of the way. Less chance of catching a sail bag oo wisker pole on it. "use the same attaching bolts to assist in mounting a small custom teak shelf system.

T

Tom

Radio

I have my radio inside on the port side suspended above the area where the galley slides into. This allows for accessibility, its not in the way, and stays out of the weather. tom

Status
Not open for further replies.