Mounting outboard motor bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris Brekhman

Hello everybody, I recently bought used 16'9" O'Day Daysailer III with outboard 3HP motor. Motor rests on the bracket which is mounted to transom with two bolts and two screws. One of the screws got loose and the opening is too wide. Can anyone give me some tips how to secure that screw? or any other idea how to mount the bracket? Thanks

M

Mark

Repairing a motor bracket mount

I assume that the reason you have two screws holding the motor bracket is that they enter the part of the transom that is inclosed by the cockpit seat resulting in no access to attach nuts to bolts. The motor bracket mounted on my Day Sailer has one of the holes entering into the cockpit seat void. In this case I used a "toggle bolt" in the inclosed area inside the cockpit seat and it mates with a stainless steel bolt on the transom side. Use of toggle bolts is a perfect solution for over oversized screw holes that enter into an unaccessable cavity. Toggle bolts can be found at any hardware store. Just pick the size that will not require a hole size larger than what your motor bracket can cover up. Use lots of silicon sealer in the bolt hole before remounting the motor bracket to the transom. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.