Mounting Electrical Components

bradm

Oct 7, 2021
Catalina 309 Wickford, RI
I'm planning to add an ACR and solar controller to the boat's electrical system. But where to locate and how to mount these components. The area behind the main panel looks a little cramped with wires, so one obvious place is somewhere in the battery box, near the Charles charger. There is plenty of room on the hull there, but screwing directly into the hull seems wrong. Maybe add a plywood backer board, glassed or glued onto the hull, or supported with a more elaborate frame.

Can anyone share some experience with this? What has worked well, or not so well?

Thanks,

- Brad

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
…but screwing directly into the hull seems wrong…
- Brad
Glad you asked…screwing holes in the hull is generally discouraged :facepalm:

Just kidding, but not really.

When I installed a shunt for a new battery monitor, I was able to mount it in the battery compartment, on a piece of plywood…
3CF79136-CDB9-47E6-BEEE-D5019DB4C07F.jpeg

If that spot want available, this compartment has 3 sides that I could use for mounting…

Is your battery compartment completely full if lead? Maybe a photo or 2 would help us visualize.

Yes, you could tab in a mounting block or something to the hull if that is the only space available…just don’t use that are longer than the mounting block is thick…:)

Hopefully, someone with a C309 can weigh in with more specific, useful information.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
screwing directly into the hull seems wrong.
Screwing into hull is discouraged.
Screwing through the hull is definitely filled with disappointment, unless completed very very carefully with knowledge of underwater risks.

Much better to use a board glued or epoxied to the hull and screw into the board.