mounting a yamaha 9.9 with forward controls

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I'm getting ready to mount a new yamaha 9.9 with forward controls for the throttle and I was wondering if anyone else out there has done this and if so how/where did you mount the control box?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Mount it in the cockpit on the foot well bulkhead, just aft of where you normally sit, so you can reach it from your steering position, but not so far forward that it would interfere with jib sheets. The top of the throttle just below the seat. I mounted mine a little too high, the top of the handle a little above the seat, and it would sometimes snag my short pants legs.
Beside being able to reach it from your normal sitting helm position, it should be accessible if you are standing and steering with your knees. Don't mount it on the coaming.... that's inconvenient if you're steering from the opposite side.... plus it looks ridiculous.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Well I got this done. I ended up modifying a thru-hull to pass the cables and wires into the lazzerette. I plan to put this all into a section of bilge pump hose to tidy it up a bit.

I'm really happy with the Yamaha 9.9. It pushes the but nicely and is oh so quiet. Me and the wife can talk from one end of the boat to the other with out yelling. On our first test run she kept thinking the motor had died since she couldn't hear it from the bow.

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Very nicely done. Mine is on my pedestal so I could have been not help at all. I also know that on my controller I can press in the center where it says Yamaha and advance the lever without putting the motor in gear. This way I can run the engine at higher RPMs without spinning the prop.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
On my control box there is a tab on the housing that can be lifted up to open the throttle in neutral. I kind of preferred the OMC controls where the box is mounted inside the quarter berth and only the throttle arm comes through into the cockpit it made for a very tidy installation. However I'm really pleased with how quiet the 4 stroke is and the amount of low speed control you get from it.

Feb 17, 2006
Agree. The only issue I am having with mine is the control cables to the motor have too much of a bend radii when the motor is up. This causes the outer coating on the cable to crack eventually exposing the inner cable. That then rusts to the point of useless and I have to change the cable. Pain the behind. So watch your radii of the control cables to the motor and try to keep as straight as possible.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Just an update here is the final dressed up installation of my control box. It runs good and pushes the boat like a champ.

Attachments

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Hey, could one of you guys with a Yamaha 9.9 help me out? I bought one used that didn't come with the control box. I would like to hook up the electric choke but am at a loss as to which wires to tie into a switch.
It came with a handful of wires hanging out that the PO said I shouldn't have to worry about. He wasn't helpful about which wire went to the choke button. I tried tracing them back to a solenoid but couldn't find what actually turns the choke on.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
With the current 704 control box the choke is wired into the key switch if you push the key forward (on my mounting towards the bow) and it triggers the choke. You can hear the solenoid in the motor switch.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Mine also has other connectors in addition to the cannon plug that connects to the motor. I assumed they were for an hour-meter or a tachometer. But I didn't look into what they are for.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Thanks Brian,
I should be able to use the diagrams and trace it back.
Next question, any idea what the function of this stepper motor is?
(white plastic cylinder just above the oil dipstick)
upload_2017-4-17_15-6-37.jpeg

Feb 17, 2006
I am clueless. Is that a momentary switch? Maybe start the motor and press the switch. See what it does.