Motoring speed (Knots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy F

I have just put my recently purchased Oday 25 in the water. I was motoring to the slip and wondered how fast in knot speed will not result in overtaxing my Honda 7.5 outboard. My speed was 4 knots which seemed ok. Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks Randy

M

M. G.

Only 4 knots?

Hmmm... My first boat was a 24' Challenger Clipper. Roughly comparable to your 25 footer. I had a 9 horse mercury powering it and it would drive the boat at it's hull speed which was about 6 knots. Your 7.5 should move your boat faster than 4 knots unless you were pounding into some weather. I'm not sure what you should look at; but that is at the low end for speed, under power; especially with an outboard. You might want to check your prop for the correct type and get the engine tuned. Also, is there a lot of marine growth on the hull? If so you may want to haul out for a good cleaning and paint job. Bon Chance!

G

Geof

Current? Wind? Throttle set?

Our 25 has an 8 hp on it, depending on the current, wind etc, 4.5 - 5.5 is about right. Hull speed isn't much more than that. Geof

Status
Not open for further replies.