Motor Size of B323 vs B331

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Liu

I am considering buying a new sailboat and have a question related to engines in standard B323 and B331. B323 is a 32 footer and comes with a 18hp engine. The second boat is just a foot longer, but comes with a much larger 30hp engine. Could someone tell me if the standard 18hp for B323 is underpowered? And what is the typicall cruising speed of B323 and B331? George, Vancouver BC

J

Joe Hanna

Related considerations

As the previous owner of a 311 that had the 18hp Yanmar, I found it to be adequate for the job. There are times a little more power would have been nice, the 18 hp version was a good performer. One issue you should address is how the larger engine will fill the available engine compartment space. When ordering my new 393, I elected to upgrade to the larger Yanmar. While I am extremely pleased with the performance of the upgraded engine, it completely fills the engine compartment space and creates challenges for certain routine maintenance issues such as impeller changes. Additionally, future upgrades to a larger alternator may be limited due to space availability.

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
323 Engine Size

George, While I have not had the pleasure of a sea trial on the B323, I also took note of the smaller standard engine on this new vessel. On closer inspection of the specifications, you will note that the 323 is nearly 3000# lighter and 8" narrower in beam than the B331. We have a 1996 B321 and, for a breif momment, were considering a newer vessel. The B321 ,I believe, shares the same hull as the B331, and has the same engine (although older model). We find the Yanmar 28HP an excellent performer, seldom reguiring more than 2600-2800RPM to reach an acceptable and comfortable motoring speed of 6+ knots. Even with the addition of 110v alternator, there is no discernable difference in motoring performance. Bare in mind also that the B331 and the B321 share the same engines used in the 35' 36' and the 37' models. For better opinions on the subject, you might want to post your question on the Beneteau Owners Discussion List <beneteau@list.sailnet.net> The 18HP Yanmar may well be adequate on this vessel, only a sea trial will tell. In answer to your performance question, I would suspect that the B323 is a good performer with its 4'9" std. draft, reduced displacement, and narrower beam. I don't know how the prices compare between these models. I suspect that this would not be my choice as I am more concerned about cruise performance. If racing is your thing, the 323 might be a good choice as I suspect that light air performance is better than either the B331 or the older B321. We were actually considering the B373, but did not see $100,000 worth of differences when compared to our B321. If price is not a significant issue, I would look again at the B331. If price is an issue, I would look closely at the B321. There are a number of good ones on the market for considerably less than new. Same goes for B331s. You usually get lots of addons cheap with a used vessel. Jon McClain

Jan 18, 2005
Beneteau 405 Adagio
Consider conditions

George, Don't forget to factor in your local conditions before you decide on what will be "adequate". Alhthough I have not sailed in Vancouver, my boat is based out of the SF bay. The power I need to get back up the West coast is likely more than I would need on any given lake. My First 405 has 50hp, which may seem like a lot, but I wouldn't want any less. Good luck and good sailing. -Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.