motor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

david

This summer I added a 2.5 2 stroke Nissan to my 170. This has been great for getting out from the dock and gives piece of mind in case the wind dies several miles out from shore (didn't need to use it for that this year though). One question I have struggled with, is whether to lock the motor and use the rudder to steer or raise the rudder and steer with motor. I was using the rudder, but since I had trouble getting the motor to lock in place, I started using the motor and actually found it more effective. The one drawback of using the motor to steer is that it is uncomfortable to sit far enough back to control the motor (fortunately, my motor jaunts tend to be very brief - on the order of 3-5 minutes). What do others do?

N

Neil

Outboard steering

Powerboat based fishermen often face a similar challenge. They have a large outboard connected to the main steering system, to get them to the fishing grounds fast, and a small adjacent outboard (kicker) to fish with. Their solution is to fit a small bar between the back end of the two motors (with flexible end fittings) so both motors can be steered by the main steering system. Depending on your setup, you may be able to fit a bar between your boat rudder and outboard.

J

john

What I do

Hi David, I usually lock my outboard and steer with the tiller. I honestly don't know which works best. I have experimented a bit with each and it seemed that it worked best to steer with the tiller. I got into trouble once in a marina when it seemed I couldn't steer with the throttle in one hand and the tiller in the other, not sure if it would have been easier to lift the rudder and steer from the motor. I am sure it was a lack of experience thing. I will be interested to know what some more experienced folk suggest. john

B

bob G.

response

Using the motor only will give you more steering response than the rudder only due to the point of thrust being away from the pivot point of the keel, as Neil suggested using both locked together will be more responsive than motor or rudder only, so in the marina you are better off using the more responsive methods, especially when backing. Out on the pond, be comfortable. Sorry about the Rose Bowl.....................GO BUCKEYES!

Status
Not open for further replies.