Motor Mounts

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Hey Everybody,

Anyone have a source for motor mounts other than Catalina Direct? Mine are looking pretty worn...lots of hours on my motor. But the mounts on CD are more expensive than the mounts on my bigger boat.

Cheers,
Jim
C310 #178

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Google Universal diesel engine mounts and Universal diesel boat engine mounts. IIRC, Vetus makes some, too.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Much as I hate to skunk SBO, I think these are better motor mounts than the OEM, Vetus or others and are a lot cheaper. I put the MM-Small-65 rubber - $35.00/each + M12 height adjuster $12.00 on my boat, You need the mount and the adjuster as a pair. But once you do this you can swap out mount (if ever needed) without lifting the engine. They were even a shade quieter.

I did have to make an adapter plate as the oems were 5" on center and the new ones were 4" on center, but I think that is standard now. FWIW I stink at drilling and tapping.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Jim:

If you have a Yanmar you want to be sure to use the OEM mounts. They also need to be installed in the correct positions. If you have some other engine this probably does NOT apply.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I stuck with the OEM Motor mounts based on the advice of Mainesail. I did add some 1/2 inch spacers to the front mounts since they had to be adjusted to a very high position on the threaded rod and that gave the engine more movement. We now have about 1,300 hours on the new mounts where our originals failed after 500 hours. I think the problem was a poor alignment by the dealer who commisioned the boat and the PO never checked it.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
Motor mounts rarely go bad. Usually misaligned or badly corroded. Here is a simple test. Use a crow bar, sturdy rod or even a 2x4 to raise the engine at a point close to each mount. Release pressure and see if the engine clunks. No noise, no problem. If you do have replace and yours have 4 inch mount holes, then you can get them from Fisheries Supply for $48 ea. Search DF-2205-2

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
On my Westerbeke, 3 out of 4 mounts were totally useless. The engine was being held down by gravity. The reason I changed them was I replaced my fixed 3 bladed prop with a 2 bladed flexofold prop and the increase in vibration was huge like the boat was trying to shake itself apart. With the new mounts everything is good though I have to avoid 2000 RPM (even at the dock).

I had to make a adapter plate for the holes to line up. I almost screwed myself with height adjuster bolt with the new mount bolt at 12 MM and the hole on the engine bracket at 16 MM. The vendor (missionsuplyonline) had a 12 to 16 MM bolt for that purpose. Doing a engine alignment isn't hard, just needs patience.
20160916_111442_001.jpg

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
on the Yans the motor mounts used to be sold in pairs, and the stiffness was different for front vs. rear. mechanics who don't read instructions or yan parts manuals sometimes mis matched and installed all fronts or all rears or god forbid a front rear improper mix on the engines . then the customers wondered why they w ere only getting 200 hours out of the mounts. deal with a yan mar gold dealer with a knowledgeable parts guy. (mack boring won't sell direct to human beings any more... just dealers.)

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Thanks for all the replies and all the info. I forgot to say it is a Universal M25XPB in a Catalina 310. I had a friend of mine who is a mechanic look at them yesterday and he told me mine were still good to go. No need to replace at this point. So for now I will let this go. But thanks again.

Cheers,
Jim