Motor Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
I have a 77 C-22 I bought about 6 weeks ago. The PO also sold his 7.5 HP Honda 4 stroker. This weights 78lbs. The outboard mount that came with the boat seems to be a Fulton Aluminum job. It was never installed right for the weight of this motor. It rides way too low(its a long Shaft) and inside the transom it only has SAE washers, not fender washters and nuts. I also found that this type of mount isn't for this heavy or high of torque outboard. Does anyone else have this same mount and motor? What are you using? I think I could get away with a fixed mount. With a long shaft I think it would tilt enough to get out of the water. However, every fixed mount I have found so far, the max weight is 75# and I'm not sure what the demensions are for clearance. The Honda is 22.5 in from the top of the clamp to the cavitation plate. Any thoughts?

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Depth

Well I have had some thoughts and some may say that anything larger than 6HP isn't necessary but your 22 is on Lake Erie, I think that I would like a bigger motor at times. It is necessary that the motor be deep enough to work in reverse. As the blades get closer to the surface, the stern gets in the way of the wash and you loose backing ability. The other thing (I assume) is that the 4 cycles uses water cooling like the 2 cycles do. If this is the case, the motor needs to be deep enough that the water pump functions. You may want a better mount. You may want to move some weight forward where you can to keep the lower gudgeon out of the water. Maybe not a solution but some things to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.