Motor Mount Bracket

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
I've noticed that our new to us 2006 Capri 22's Motor Mount drags in the water when in the down position. We use a 5HP Honda with a long shaft. Unfortunately the mount can't be adjusted to stop this from happening. I believe I've read about this condition somewhere else on the forum before. There were only three positions on the Motor Mount Bracket's arm to select, two in the up position, one in the down position. This situation was further complicated by the fact that the bracket was bolted to the transom one hole lower than it had to be! To correct this situation, I removed the complete bracket from the boat to disassemble the mount so I could machine two addition adjusting notches in the bracket's arms to increase the adjustable range of the bracket. When I reinstalled the mount I move it into a higher hole next to the transom. This will, by itself provide 1 1/4 higher position. I believe the combination of these two modifications will provide the necessary improvement and cure the dragging Motor Mount Bracket. Note, the attached picture shows the 5 notches now available to adjust the mount and the new bolt hole location.

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Seems like a good solution... oh and the motor mount looks like a decent one too. I have some motor mount envy right now... mine doesn't auto-lock in the up position... it's on the list of things to do this winter.

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Interesting...I think of my mount as having one 'up' position and two 'down' positions, which I always attributed to long and short shaft motors. Sounds like Catalina didn't spend a lot of time sweating over the location of that bracket on the transom.

Nice clean solution and a great post, too.