Motor and mounting

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Hello! I have a new motor, long shaft. Old motor was a short shaft and on a motor mount. Can I ditch the parallel motor mount and simply put the motor on my good old transom? Ever seen this done?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ever seen this done?
Yep.
Of course, not all small sailboats are designed to do this. What kind of boat are you talking about?
It will be your call based on rudder and tiller interference, sheet, backstays, dock lines, etc. that might catch on the motor. There's no inherent reason a motor needs to be held off the transom. It will probably cause less stress than putting it out 8 to 12 inches away.
Pictures of your random might help.

-Will (Dragonfly)

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Yep.
Of course, not all small sailboats are designed to do this. What kind of boat are you talking about?
It will be your call based on rudder and tiller interference, sheet, backstays, dock lines, etc. that might catch on the motor. There's no inherent reason a motor needs to be held off the transom. It will probably cause less stress than putting it out 8 to 12 inches away.
Pictures of your random might help.

-Will (Dragonfly)
20190916_101756.jpg
I have Catalina 22. The new motor is a long shaft. Very little going on back there.