Motor advice for a 21' Venture

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I need to buy an outboard motor for my 1977 21' Venture. I've been told a powerful electric would do the job (62 lbs of thrust or better). Depending on cost of course, I'd like to go with a 4 stoke but would consider a 2 stroke if more practical. One thing I'd like to avoid is an exteral gas tank (too many fumes in the cabin) and usually that starts at 5 HP. What's the smallest HP I could go with and still be able to move along in 3 foot seas, 25 knots of wind (head on). I'm thinking 3 HP will do it. Anybody having succes with a moter this size? Or what about the electic option? Thanks! Bob

H

Harry Howell

I used a Mercury 102 cc sail power for years. It will push the boat against 25 kts of wind. I now use a MotorGuide 54 lb thrust trolling motor and have yet to test it to the limit. I would think that a 3-4 HP outboard is enough. Harry Howell College Station TX

S

Steve Leonard

Venture 21 Motor

A Honda 2HP 4 stroke long shaft works just fine on my Venture 21 #1050.

B

Bob

Thanks gentlemen

After considering all advice and research, I ended up purchasing a 5 HP 4 stroke Mercury. It was in stock and I got $150 off the price. I'll be trying it this weekend. I guess I'll never have to worry about not having enough power to get me out of whatever I get myself into. As my wife tells me, it's insurance. You don't need it until you need it. Thanks again for your responses. Good sailing...

Status
Not open for further replies.