Mostly Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Len Markir

My wife, Annie, and I have had "Oceana", our 1990 Oceanis 430 for about 5 years and love the boat. We are planning to cruise to Florida this winter and to do the Islands next winter. So, in planning for the trip, lots of preparation is preceeded by lots of questions. Maybe other Beneteau owners can help to round out our list of questions (or maybe help shorten that list). 1. We want to increase the holding tank capacity and wonder if there are any suggestions other than a custom tank construction in the same location as the original? 2. We have noticed rusting around the keel bolts under the original epoxy used to seal the washers and bolt heads. Have scratched to remove the rust and the bolts and washers still look healthy, but they are not perfect. I was reluctant to create a mess if it is not necessary, and called the Beneteau offices. I was told that a small amount of rusting was not a problem and to leave well enough alone. I wonder if anyone reading this has some input for us? 3. I am considering adding another headsail to use when in the Islands. I thought a 100% jib that would not have to be furled in 20-25 knot winds would be useful. Also, whether the useful life of the original Goiot furler, which seems to be in good working order, is such that a replacement or overhaul would be prudent. 4. Does anyone have experiences with computer installations on boats; whether marine standard equipment needs to be used, The appropriate marine navigation software for our use, and how to access E-mail from on-board or using the computer when at port? 5. We will probably start our trip south by sailing from Marblehead, MA to the Chesapeake in October or November and then use the Intracoastal for most of the remainder of the voyage to take advantage of sightseeing. Has anyone become 'snowbirds' using the ICW or does anyone live along our proposed path of travel? We would love to make new friends and get some first hand knowledge of the route.

J

James Hunter

Computer & Email

I've been living aboard my First 35 for a year now. I've had no trouble with my Toshiba laptop and have accessed the net by installing a US Robotics Cell Modem card which plugs into my cell phone.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
what kind of speed do you get?

What's the top end of that cell mode? Can you keep your browser graphics switched on? ph.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Oops... I missed the point

Sorry - I didn't read the original post first. Pinoak Digital (I think they're at www.pinoak.com) has an email service that hooks up to your boat's SSB (assuming you have or plan to install that). It's a tad slow, and it ain't cheap, but on-shore email can be sporadic at best. Island phone companies are quite inconsistent, especially with data, even in the more settled parts of the world. If your computer will stay in the cabin you can probably get away with a standard laptop, although I would be carefuly to keep it in dry storage most of the time. You may want to get a cheap one and plan on replacing it every couple years, or spend the money for a sturdier unit, like a Micron. There are some ruggedized, water-resistant units available but last I saw they were over $3000. Sounds like a great trip! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.